Sign in to follow this  
HBU

204 Ruger

Hi all, I'm looking for some opinions on the 204. I've never owned one but am looking right now. Are they good performers on varmints and what are some of your favorite models? I am currently leaning toward the Rem. 700 SPS VMT.

The 204 is my favorite load/ gun. It is fast and flat as a 22-250 but wont shoot your barrel out and is very light on recoil. Excellent on varmints. Coyotes and Javelina are about as big an animal as you'd want to take with it. I saw a kid shoot an antelope with one on a hunting show though. I use a Ruger 77 with a Nikon scope. Lots of options for loads. I've watched jackrabits vaporize and Javelina drop with no meat damage. See 204ruger.com for tons of info.

I'd also like to add that the 204 shoots similarly to the 22-250 while using considerably less powder.

Thanks for the input fellas, I was down at SW fondling one yesterday and I like the gun alot. What scope/mount combo would you go with on this rifle? Does anyone know of someone who might have one for sale?

HBU,

I've shot a lot of different rifle/calibers from anti-tank rifles & mortars, machine guns, you name it. Of all the shooting I've done, the .204 is absolutly the funnest cailbur I've ever shot. Watching my rounds impact through my scope is a real hoot! Litterly no recoil. I went with a Remmy 700 VLS.

Well I couldn't wait any longer. I purchased the 700 SPS Varmint. I think I'm going to Dura Coat this gun but i don't have my scope yet. How well does Dura Coat stick to the factory synthetic stock?

Well I couldn't wait any longer. I purchased the 700 SPS Varmint. I think I'm going to Dura Coat this gun but i don't have my scope yet. How well does Dura Coat stick to the factory synthetic stock?

If I was you, I would remove that stock, sell it on the web, and buy a bell and carlson or something to replace it. I am not a big fan of the SPS stock. My dad has a SPS in 22-250 and i am pretty disapointed with the smoothness of the action, as compared to a polished 700 action it is ROUGH.

The sps vmt has a slightly different stock than the sps. I plan on doing quite a bit of work to this rifle. The action is definately not the smoothest. I do like the 26" heavy barrel.

I am very familar with the rifle, I work at Sportsmans Warehouse and fondle it nearly everyday. It, in essence has the same stock (made the same exact way). Other than the stock, I like the gun.