Sign in to follow this  
KGAINES

Doe with antlers

I think if my wife were a deer she would have antlers.I know she has a mean left hook. :) :D :D

MY father killed an antlered doe in wisconsin years back. It was in full velvet in November. He also harvested a Pie Balled or gray with large white spots. The tanner gave him two pairs of gloves instead of one and he had a purse made for my mother.

My brother killed a carp in unit 28 on the Hackberry ranch that we first thought was a monster ( remember the Bushnell 7x35's), it was a four point about 26 inches wide in full velvet, sans testicles ( could have been that his wife had them in her purse). He had the buck mounted.

Page 86 in "White-tailed Deer Ecology and Mangement" by the Wildlife Management Institute shows a photograph of a fawn suckling an antlered doe.

The captions says: "A captive antlered whitetail doe and her fawn. The antler growth was eperimentally produced by injections of testosterone in the spring prior to her autumn conception."

Elsewhere the text says:

"Only rarely will a doe have antlers. These usually are short spikes covered with velvet. Such does generally are fertile and can carry and raise fawns. The antlers probably are grown in response to abnormally high levels of testosterone.

BQ

All quite normal, happens in all species - even humans. Genetics get screwed up some how, and you get either an extra sex chormosome or some extra sex organs. I neutered a cat like that once, we thought he was a cryptorchid, he only had one desended testicle, when we opened him up to get the other one out and we found (underdeveloped) ovaries! Open up your high school kids science book, you'll probably find info on "metafemales" and other gender mutations.

Would that make it a Hermaphor-Doe? jk

One time I arrowed a 5 point doe!!

She had 4 teats and a tail.

Mike

3 years ago my cousin back in Illinois shot a eastern whitetail doe with a decent set of antlers. I will see if I can get a pic from him. If I remember correctly it was a 3 x 4. I've also seen a couple hen turkeys with beards but those have all been in Ill. as well, nothing here in Az.