Sign in to follow this  
Schmitty

CWT.com Archery Hog hunt?

I was wondering if a group of guys/gals from CWT.com wanted to put together an archery pig hunt over in CA next year.

One option would be the Tejon Ranch

I've only driven past the north end of the ranch while driving across Tehachapi pass outside of Bakersfield, but it is nice looking country.

You can book a private archery hunt, but need a minimum of 8 hunters. Cost is $450 per head for a 2.5 day hunt that includes lodging and meals. The hunt is unguided, but you do have one "guide" for the entire group that points you in the right direction.

Hunting is all spot and stalk, no TX style feeders here in hilly country w/ a fair amount of brush. My understanding is that you can sit water/trails if that's more your style.

From the research that I've done via the web and phone, it looks like everybody will see pigs and most should have shot oopportunities w/ a 50% success rate to be expected. Although, I think we might be able to do a bit better due to our glassing/hunting experience.

I was thinking late Feb/March 2009 would give enough time for folks to get it on the schedule and it wouldn't interfere with any other hunts going on locally.

The Tejon is about a 6 hour drive from Phoenix. More info can be found at www.hunttejon.com

I'm sure there are other options as well, I'm open to any other ideas as well, just trying to extend my hunting season.

Please post up if your interested. If we can get enough folks interested, I'd be happy to head up the reservations, logistics, etc.

thanks,

Schmitty

I've been there several times. It's more than 7 hours, trust me. Once you hit San Bernardino, it's like driving on the 60 at rush hour....for 80 miles.

I've been there several times. It's more than 7 hours, trust me. Once you hit San Bernardino, it's like driving on the 60 at rush hour....for 80 miles.

When I head that direction I always go through Parker and Needles and down the 40 through Barstow, it might be longer in mileage, but there is almost no traffic that way and going the speed limit it takes around 7 hours, but making it in 6 isn't out of the question.

Desert Bull,

As you've been there before, what do you think? Is this worth doing? I've only hunted hogs in TX which was alot of fun, but wasn't much of a hunt. The Tejon looks like pretty big country where our AZ style hunting could be employed to it's fullest. IE: glassing, spotting and stalking and it sounds as though they have a bunch of wild pigs. I figured with lodging and meals thrown in, it didn't sound too out of line price wise. You can pay the same $450 and hunt w/ a rifle, but then you are in charge of your own camp and have to provide your own meals.

As my wife's family is in No Cal, I have driven over Tehachapi pass countless times and see the Tejon Ranch signs and think to myself that it is good looking country. I'd head over there myself, but then you are limited to their "Hog Wild" weekends w/ a bunch of CA folks. I figured hunting with 8 or 10 CWT members sounded like a better proposition.

Let us all know what you think and if you have any other ideas. As I mentioned earlier, this thing is a good 10 months out so I'd like to look at all the options and hear everyone's opinions.

thanks,

Craig

If there isn't any age limit then I might be a posibility. :lol: I think I might have another friend who might be interested as well.

TJ

It's well worth it. It is a real hunt and the terrain is NASTY. It's perfect for glassing. the canyons are huge.

If there isn't any age limit then I might be a posibility. :lol: I think I might have another friend who might be interested as well.

TJ

Hey, TJ..... :unsure: Those hills are pretty steep.... you might not be able lift your legs high enough to climb back out... :blink: :lol: :lol: :P :P

JK!!!! Bah HaHaHaHaHa!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P

TJ

Hey, TJ..... :unsure: Those hills are pretty steep.... you might not be able lift your legs high enough to climb back out... :blink: :lol: :lol: :P :P

JK!!!! Bah HaHaHaHaHa!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P

:blink: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm hoping it's all down hill after the shot. ;)

TJ

TJ

Hey, TJ..... :unsure: Those hills are pretty steep.... you might not be able lift your legs high enough to climb back out... :blink: :lol: :P

JK!!!! Bah HaHaHaHaHa!!! :lol: :P

TJ

What goes down must come back up..... :blink: :unsure: :lol: :P

TJ

Hey, TJ..... :unsure: Those hills are pretty steep.... you might not be able lift your legs high enough to climb back out... :blink: :lol: :P

JK!!!! Bah HaHaHaHaHa!!! :lol: :P

TJ

What goes down must come back up..... :blink: :unsure: :lol: :P