Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

Where Am I

This should be a pretty easy one. 

I'm located in Pinal County near what was originally an Army camp in the 1800s and later became a working ranch. My population today is about 200. A major highway passes through me. I'm affectionally known by the entertainment center that existed.

8 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

good job .  Top-O'-the-World.

I knew it would be too easy. 🤬

Top-of-the -World was the name of the dance hall.

Now, many years ago an old timer told me that the building on the right with all the doors facing the road was once a brothel. But none of the searching I did for an hour turned up anything. 

9 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

wasn't the biggest brothel in the area McMillanville?  they brought girls up from Tucson?

lee

I have no idea. But what the old timer told me certainly makes sense since there was a dance hall in the middle of nowhere. Maybe they wanted it to be within reach of the those gents in both Superior and Globe that would avail themselves of such service. Maybe trophyhunter might know, eh? 😉

Before permits came about, my regular spot to hunt javelina in '60s was Pinto Creek a few miles past the mine. It was always productive.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

Now, many years ago an old timer told me that the building on the right with all the doors facing the road was once a brothel. But none of the searching I did for an hour turned up anything. 

was about to ask if anyone knew if this was true

20 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

was about to ask if anyone knew if this was true, id been told there was a whore house there 

Figured you might know of it. I can't find any verification other than common sense. 

This area is known as the Pinal Ranch, or sometimes Top-of-the-World. The name "Pinal" comes from the Pinal Apache people and is Spanish for "pine groves in the mountains".

The site was abandoned in 1871 by the army one month after being named Camp Pinal. The troops started their mule trail at "Infantry Camp" at the foot of Picket Post and then extended it into Picket Post Creek (later called Queen Creek). The trail then crossed Devil's Canyon (named by the troops) and halted at a post they intended to build in what was then called "Mason's Valley" (later, Camp Pinal). By April 1871 the mule trail and post were both completed and General Stoneman planned on making Camp Pinal his headquarters, but the project was abandoned after General George Crook replaced General Stoneman because of the Camp Grant Massacre of April 1871. By August of that year General Crook abandoned the post, and only the mule trail was left to indicate the intended ambitious presence of U.S. soldiers.

The old Craig Ranch was built at the site of Camp Pinal. The ranch was begun about 1874 by a Mr. Irion and the Craig family, even before the town of Globe was settled. Over the years the ranch house was improved upon, and it remained in the Craig family until about the 1970s. The ranch house is still in good condition, in spite of its 100+ years.

The Top-of-the-World was a dance hall started in the 1920s along the old highway east of the Pinal Ranch. This area was settled by Robert A. Irion in 1878. His stepson Dudly Craig continued the ranching tradition in the area after Irion's death.

• Like 1

saturday morning chat about dance halls and brothels is entertaining certainly but....what about a minor mystery?

at least 6 times while exploring the giant, flat gila river floodplains between florence jctn and picacho i have found little fruit bearing pomegranate shrubs-just one and nothing else.  no evidence of a homestead or other nearby occupation just miles of greasewood and sidewinders.  they have to be tough to survive out there but how did the get there?

lee

10 minutes ago, My Rights As An American said:

What was always productive,  the hunting or the brothel? 😀

You'll have to ask trophyhntr.

I never had to pay anyone for such kindness. 😎

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

saturday morning chat about dance halls and brothels is entertaining certainly but....what about a minor mystery?

at least 6 times while exploring the giant, flat gila river floodplains between florence jctn and picacho i have found little fruit bearing pomegranate shrubs-just one and nothing else.  no evidence of a homestead or other nearby occupation just miles of greasewood and sidewinders.  they have to be tough to survive out there but how did the get there?

lee

Ironically, I just finished getting a pomegranate ready to consume. Fry's had them on sale last week 10 for $10. 

Now, what was the question? Oh yeah, how did they get there? I have no earthly idea but the Spanish did bring them in AZ in the 1600s. So maybe there was an old orchard or maybe someone or something was eating them and dropped a few seeds that took root.  Could also be seeds washed into the area during a flood perhaps. 

• Like 1