Sign in to follow this  
mike ornoski

deer seen

been scouting for my dec. tag been seeing on average 25 deer aday.seems to be 7 does for every buck. what are you all finding.most are 1 to 2 miles away while glassing.By 8:00am hard to locate deer all are bedded. have on average found 5 deer in their beds during the lull time mike

A friend and I were hunting together this weekend. We saw a little over 50 coues on Friday and again about the same number on Saturday morning. Only saw one deer each Sat afternoon. Out of the fifty, there were 6 branch antlered bucks and 6 spikes. This is probably the most deer we've spotted during each day of hunting.

I was glassing Saturday morning. I saw nothing until that afternoon when the storm had passed. I was starting to get discouraged until I talked to a buddy that was checking out his spot on Saturday and saw nothing as well.

The weather was ok for the first hour the sun just started to peak through the clouds about 7:45. The the rain squalls approaching from the south started to pass through and I gave it up until that afternoon when things cleared up a bit.

Mike and Red what was the weather like when you were seeing deer this last weekend?

I was going to go today but the wind and unsettled weather I decided to wait another day.

I am off this week so if anyone wants to tag along and glass this week in 22 or nearby units let me know. I can always use another set of eyes.

Dan

We are seeing around 30 deer a day right now. We went to a spot that we used to see around 60 -70 deer a day and have only seen a total 2 deer in there. We came across a lion lair the area around it is scatterd with deer bones ( no hornes though.). I will start watching this little cave very close from this day on. I do not need that kind of competition in my secret holes.

Last weekend I was in 36A and did not see very many deer. During the first hunt my friends saw lots of deer and they went four for four. It rained Saturday and Sunday morning a little bit and the wind on Sunday was miserable. I will be back down there on Thurday hopefully with a little better luck.

You guys are doing a heck of a lot better than I am. A couple of weekends ago went out and saw 12 does and no bucks. This weekend was out and saw 9 does and 3 small bucks. Are you guys in the Southern or Central units?

I was down in 36c. My friend Russ spotted a buck chewing a branch above and then paw the ground. Sounds like he was making a scrape. You may be right about the pre-rut activity. We thought it a little different in that most of the bucks we spotted seemed to be with does, and not by themselves.

We were in 36B. I saw about 12 does Friday and Sat am. My buddies dad saw a spike. Didn't get to hunt Sun. Hopefully they are having luck. I'll be back down Fri night

I did see Couesdiehard down there and his luck wasn't much better than ours by Sat evening.

Forest service said Oct hunt hit them pretty hard. Wall to wall hunters and quite a few deer taken out.

I think it all depends. There are units I hunt where I see 20-40 deer a day. Then there are units where I see a ton less.

The one thing I find interesting is the time of day. I have to say I see most of my critters after 9:00 or so. There are times in December/January where I stuggle to find deer until 10:00 in the morning. I actually don't think I need to be on top of the hill at first light. I'm still on top at light but I wonder why sometimes. I really think the rut picks up in the late morning.

I have a unit 8 late WT tag. I don't expect to see double digits amounts of deer each day. If I actually see over ten a day I will be happy. I just hope one of them is huge.

Later,

recurveman

we were scouting 36b for our dec tag.saw 80 % of deer before 9:00am. the bucks were all singles.we did not see any other hunters in our area.dont think this area gets much hunting pressure. did glass a few does in their beds midday.with the cold front on the early oct hunt made a huge difference,the success rate shot way over the norm.the trick to this nov. hunt is to spend allot of time behind the glass @ let them do the walking for you. mike

Mike

Thanks for the response, I was hoping you were somewhere south so I did not feel so bad about my poor glassing day.

Treestandman,

I have seen some very active scrapes in 22 starting last Monday. Congrats on finding a 100 incher. Hopefully he will collide with your arrow in December. I am hoping to have a few scouted out by the 17th.

Later

Dan

traveler. what unit are you in 22? try around the new burn.alot of new growth that is bringing the deer back in their . get on the north east slopes @ glass back to the burn you will be suprized at the # of deer you will see.glass.glass.glass..once on the mountain you should not move more then 100 yards the whole day.the deer will just materailze all around you. mike