Sign in to follow this  
AZBIG10

Ted gets his shot

At the end of the day I don't think otc archery hunters do near the number on the deer that the thousands of rifle tags given out in multiple southern units like 33 do. Archers just aren't that efficient. Even if archers were efficient, making harvest reporting mandatory would solve alot of issues and when the archers were being too efficient in any one unit, the department could react accordingly. Mandatory harvest reporting will not become the standard anytime soon though. Game and fish does not want hard data on true success rates in my opinion. I think they have an idea how many deer are actually being killed, but I dont personally believe that they want us to know how many are being killed. Harvest reporting would force them to post the data to the public. Also, it would force them to stop minimizing the seasons in units like 29 and 6a where they are trying to punish particular outfitters. As much as I despise them not making harvest reporting mandatory, I understand how important revenue is. And because of that, I am all game for the otc tags being sold to the non residents. They aren't making it to where I hunt, I promise you that. Getting rid of the otc tags would just make them increase tags somewhere else, to make up for the loss in revenue. That could be way more detrimental than some out of staters hunting deer from the roads in the 36's with their bows. I've watched alot of the YouTube videos the last few years, and I have yet to feel like them boys are much of a threat to our deer herd. I suppose them broadcasting otc az tags to the world is the real concern. 

• Like 1

I could be way wrong but I think more Muleys are killed or wounded during bow season than during the rifle season. Mature Muleys, I’d say for sure more during bow season. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, creed_az_88 said:

At the end of the day I don't think otc archery hunters do near the number on the deer that the thousands of rifle tags given out in multiple southern units like 33 do. Archers just aren't that efficient. Even if archers were efficient, making harvest reporting mandatory would solve alot of issues and when the archers were being too efficient in any one unit, the department could react accordingly. Mandatory harvest reporting will not become the standard anytime soon though. Game and fish does not want hard data on true success rates in my opinion. I think they have an idea how many deer are actually being killed, but I dont personally believe that they want us to know how many are being killed. Harvest reporting would force them to post the data to the public. Also, it would force them to stop minimizing the seasons in units like 29 and 6a where they are trying to punish particular outfitters. As much as I despise them not making harvest reporting mandatory, I understand how important revenue is. And because of that, I am all game for the otc tags being sold to the non residents. They aren't making it to where I hunt, I promise you that. Getting rid of the otc tags would just make them increase tags somewhere else, to make up for the loss in revenue. That could be way more detrimental than some out of staters hunting deer from the roads in the 36's with their bows. I've watched alot of the YouTube videos the last few years, and I have yet to feel like them boys are much of a threat to our deer herd. I suppose them broadcasting otc az tags to the world is the real concern. 

You bring up some good points. Yes there are too many rifle tags as well. To fix this all AZGFD needs to do is cut tag numbers and raise the price of the tags. Same revenue, less hunt pressure. 

I didn’t think they’d make it to where I hunt either, until this year.....ran into a dude from back east..... he was planning on being here all month long camped out with his bow.....

Yes, broadcasting the AZ OTC hunt to the world is a concern. Pressure in January is getting out of hand. 

Trphyhntr, I agree seems like more Carp deer are killed during the archery season, bigger dumber target........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I could be way wrong but I think more Muleys are killed or wounded during bow season than during the rifle season. Mature Muleys, I’d say for sure more during bow season. 

I could get on board with that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Agreeed. And since AZ isn’t their back yard (non resident) i suspect they shoot arrows and often don’t bother to recover them.

I saw a non resident with Utah plates and he had a quiver of what looked like 8-10 all bright yellow. Wasn’t sure why he had that many and than I saw his plates. Smh.

G&F should be careful what they wish for.