TwoGuns

Verde fishing trip

Like so many others posting things to pass the time during the off season, I figured why not post this. My brother and I took my son fishing last night down along the verde river south of Camp Verde, and had a great time. In a few hours we caught quite a few fish and had a great time.

We caught several flathead cats and a bunch of "mystery fish." I only call them that because we had no idea what they were, and had never even seen one before. I hope I am not the only person in Arizona that doesnt know what this fish is. So, last night when I got home I did what we all do, got online and did a little research. I now believe I know what this fish is, but I figured I would see how many others out there might or might not know what it is.

Here is a pic of one of the cats we caught.

DSC00137022222.jpg

Here is the mystery fish. I cant wait to find out how many of you all know what this is....and I mean without looking them up.

This one was about 14 inches long, and they were all caught on worms.

DSC00142220.jpg

DSC00141.jpg

twoguns

I say add butter and garlic and call it dinner!.... :lol:

:lol:

I would say DUMB FISH :huh:

They let you catch them :rolleyes:

I know what it is but for the life of me

I can not remember right now :angry:

I caught a few of those during a hike in Fossil Creek a while back. At that time I figured they were some type of Chub, they were fun though. We used little spinners to catch em'. Looks like you had a good time! JIM>

Is that a squaw Fish?

--Bill

pretty sure thats what some call the "verde trout", although it is a type of chub. it acts like a trout, it'll hit dry flys and small spoons. i catch 'em all the time near the head waters near paulden. if you catch em you should probably put them back, even though they arnt protected they are being run out by large and smallmouth bass. of course i'm no expert and could be completly wrong about all of this.

Colorado Pikeminnow formerly known as the Squawfish.

Mr. Smith has it right...IMO I guess. I believe that these are indeed Colorado Pikeminnows. I learned a lot about them last night after I figured out that is what they are. And several of you were right, that we should have put them back, because they are on the endangered list and it is illegal to have them in your posession. I thought at first they might have been a chub also, but they are not.

Here is some information that I found interesting. Amazingly, the Colorado Pikeminnow can get up to 6 feet and weigh up to 80 pounds!! (Where were those last night... :angry: :angry: )

Endangered Colorado River basin fish

Colorado pikeminnow (Ptychocheilus lucius)

4b.gif

The Colorado pikeminnow (formerly Colorado squawfish) is a torpedo-shaped fish with an olive-green and gold back, silver sides and white belly. These fish spawn between late June and early September and when they are 5-6 years old and at least 16 inches long. Similar to salmon, Colorado pikeminnow can migrate more than 200 miles to spawn.

The largest minnow in North America and one of the largest in the world, the Colorado pikeminnow at one time may have lived 50 or more years, growing to nearly 6 feet long and weights of up to 80 pounds.

In the last 30 years, the largest Colorado pikeminnow found in the upper Colorado River basin was nearly 38 inches long and weighed about 25 pounds. The Colorado pikeminnow was called "white salmon" and "Colorado salmon" by early settlers, who valued it for food and as a sport-fish. It was the Colorado River's top predator in the early 1900s and has been known to take anglers' bait in the form of mice, birds and even small rabbits, despite that its only "teeth" are found on a bony, circular structure located deep within its throat. This fish also readily strikes lures and live bait used to catch catfish and northern pike. Some people may have heard about other species of pikeminnow that are plentiful in other parts of the country. However, these other pikeminnow are different species of fish and are not endangered.

Status and distribution:

Listed as endangered by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in 1967; given full protection under the Endangered Species Act of 1973.

Listed as endangered under Colorado law since 1976; downlisted to threatened in 1998.

Protected under Utah law since 1973.

Colorado pikeminnow were once abundant in the main stem of the Colorado River and most of its major tributaries in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, California and Mexico. Now, they exist primarily in the Green River below the confluence with the Yampa River, the lower Duchesne River in Utah, the Yampa River below Craig, Colo., the White River from Taylor Draw Dam near Rangely downstream to the confluence with the Green River, the Gunnison River in Colorado, and the Colorado River from Palisade, Colo., downstream to Lake Powell. Biologists believe Colorado pikeminnow populations in the upper Colorado River basin are now relatively stable and in some areas may even be growing. In the Green River, for example, research indicates Colorado pikeminnow populations may be on the rise. Biologists believe this may be occurring because of changes made in how Flaming Gorge Dam now is being operated.

Recovery strategies:

The primary strategies being used to recover this fish species are to maintain more natural river flow patterns by releasing more water from dams in the spring, stabilize flows in late summer for young fish, ensure that stocking of non-native fish does not conflict with endangered fish recovery and build passageways and "ladders" around certain dams and barriers to allow endangered fish to migrate up and down the river.

Recovery goals:

Colorado pikeminnow will be considered eligible to be reclassified from federally endangered to threatened when naturally self-sustaining populations are being maintained in the following areas:

The Green River from its confluence with the Colorado River to its confluence with the Yampa River, the lower 137 miles of the Yampa River, and the lower 150 miles of the White River.

The Colorado River from Palisade, Colo., to Lake Powell.

The San Juan River from Lake Powell upstream to the confluence of the Animas River.

Oops!!!! :blink: TwoGuns commited a Federal Offence!!!!! :blink: :unsure: But I won't tell..... :rolleyes: :P :lol:

They're coming to take you away..... :blink: :o :rolleyes: :P :lol: :lol: