Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Savage Upgrade Advice

Seeking upgrade advice on my first rifle that I purchased myself at 18, a Savage 110 7mm Rem Mag that is approaching 2000 rounds. Accuracy started going downhill slowly after some sub-MOA handloads were developed a couple years ago. I scrubbed the barrel to remove all copper, checked scope and action screw torque, etc. but accuracy (still) has dropped off far from what it used to be. Now I randomly get 2-5 MOA with no consistency using either the original factory ammo or the new handloads.

Now that I am pursuing more and longer range shooting, I believe I want to turn this rifle into a semi-custom based on my extremely positive history with it. Being a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality, I do want to keep the 7mm Rem Mag. Initial research makes it seem (at least relatively) easy to buy gauges and a barrel wrench and swap the barrel with a prefit. Benefit to this is saving money on a smith and being able to do the work again on this and my other 2 Savages in the future. My budget is negotiable but I would like to match it to what this rifle really is, a sentimental hunting bolt gun on a Savage action. Shooting MOA at 1,000 yards sounds awesome but I don't expect it without spending $$$$$ which may not be the ideal option at this time and circumstance.

A few questions I could use some hep with-

1) Barrel Manufacturer: There are many to choose from, any preferences out there? I like the weight and concept of the Proof Carbon Prefits but $900 on a blind mag Savage 110 seems way out of proportion. There are several well-reviewed companies with barrels in the $250-500 that would likely fit the bill and out-perform my capabilities as a shooter. I'm open to all suggestions. 

2) Barrel Contour and Twist: I already have a lightweight mountain rifle but as a hunting gun, I also want to keep this one relatively light. All my shooting lends to allowing the barrel to cool between shots but I'm not sure where to settle on contour? Having a 6.5 shooting 143 gr bullets, this 7mm will likely shoot 175 gr ELDx but would like to play with 160 gr Accubonds if possible. I believe a 1:9 will cover both but am entertaining dropping to a 1:8/1:8.44 for dedication to the 175+'s. I am also leaning towards 24" on length. 

3) Muzzle Brake: Does it matter if I get a threaded prefit or is it better to let the gunsmith do the threading when installing the brake? My rifle currently has a APA Little Bastard that I will want to put on the new barrel. I assume I will need a gunsmith to true the brake even if I buy a threaded barrel? Eric at Axis Works has done my past work and I would use him again. 

4) Stock: I'm all ears. It's definitely time to get rid of the cheap tupperware, but there aren't too many affordable options for stocks for this rifle, especially lighter in weight without dropping some coin. It has a top bolt release, blind mag and believe it is a stagger feed (mag box stays attached to action when stock is removed). I'm currently leaning towards a Boyds in the Classic shape. I've read of guys hollowing out the butts to save some ounces. They charge $55 for aluminum pillar bedding on the front, thoughts there?

Sorry for the novel but it is tough to advise without knowing the details. If there is anything else I can provide, please let me know.

Thanks for suggestions on anything above. 

Sounds like its an older model Savage, probably one of the flat back models. Nothing special to look at but they sure can shoot when done up properly.

1. Can't go wrong with any of the big-name pre-fits. I have had excellent results with both Mcgowen, and Criterion and are more readily available. Contact Jim at Northlands Shooters supply for barrels. 

2. Unless you plan on shooting the 195-197 class bullets the normal 9 twist is sufficient for anything from 120-180gr. Contour is completely up to you, I personally like a magnum contour barrel. 

3. Depends on what route you go with the barrel. If you find a pre-fit in stock that matches your criteria but is not threaded take it to a smith for brake fitment. If you are having to custom order one just as well have them thread it for you while they are at it. Mcgowen actually offers a few different styles of brakes for install. 

4. Stocks are definitely the downside to a Savage. There are not a whole lot of options out there, especially for a long action. Boyds will give you the most options, Bell & Carlson may offer one as well as Hogue or Choate but those get a bit heavy. 

5. I would definitely upgrade the trigger with a Rifle Basix Sav-1. You can pick them up for around $90 if you shop around. Great trigger for the money and an upgrade I wouldn't pass on especially when putting the amount of money into the project that you already are. 

Here is a few links for you to look at for in-stock barrels and other Savage goodies. 

http://www.gunshack.com/savage-parts

http://thebarreloutlet.com/ 

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

• Like 2

If you're not a member yet go join up over at savageshooters.com. They have lots of info over there on doing just the kind of thing you are trying to do and you can also find pretty good deals on parts in the classifieds. I am a member there as well so hit me up if you need to. 

• Like 2

What Stomp stated, and you can get everything you need from North land. I would buy one of his barrel nuts/recoil lug for your new barrel it is light years ahead compared to the old one. I like the Boyds stocks for savage, but Bell & Carlson makes one also. Something I would also do Is have a smith square up the bolt face on your action the last flat back I had was 13 thousands out of square with the bolt/threads. Phoenix Custom Rifles trued mine up.  I have a brand new set of magnum go/no go gauges I can let go.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/barrels/criterion-savage/

• Like 1

One problem with savage prefits are barrel contours. They jump from a thin sporter to a #4 contour last I checked you cant get anything in between. Good luck and have fun.

• Like 1

Magpul just came out with a lightweight Savage stock with aluminum bedding. 

I have a Mcgowen and a Criterion and the McGowen shoots better in my opinion but both are fine.

The Criterion took me 4 months to get however. The McGowen took 4 weeks.

• Like 1

https://omrifles.com/collections/savage-prefits/products/7mm-rem-mag-savage-prefit?variant=30578257657902

Another prefit option. I am about to order a Howa prefit for my 257 weatherby mag from this place. Not alot of info online as they seem pretty new, but I am going to take a shot and see.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything ever again from Mc gowen. They advertised buy now and get your barrel in 4 to 6 weeks it took 6 months and it wouldn't screw into my action the threaded shank was way to big. I had a factory barrel and a Bench Mark  barrel and both worked just fine. Bench Mark makes a great savage barrel also.