id450

Spotter

Do you guys carry a spotting scope when hunting javalina? I’m taking my daughter on her first hunt for the little critters this week. I’ve only run into them bow hunting and have never just sat and glassed  for them. I’m thinking of leaving it home and just running my 12x50s , she’ll have  tripod mounted 10s ( vipers) . I’m really nervous about even finding any so any glassing  advice you have for them is appreciated. I’m pretty good at picking up deer in the desert on my binos but it makes me nervous I’ve only glassed up a heard one time. Thanks 

I just use 10's on a tripod and have no problem glassing them up at half a mile. As others have said "glass small". Good Luck.

I don't ever risk going out and seeing a big buck while in javelina hunting and not being able to tell what in looking at. There is never a second on a javelina hunt that im not looking for deer. 

• Like 1

This is the first hunt I’ve used a spotter scope on. I got a phoneskope- and I’m glad I was able to make them work well.

I found some javelina on an adjacent hill that I never could have seen with binos.

also able to get a few shots of a bull elk on Goodwin Mesa on 18b. That was a pleasant surprise.

Elk was about 500 away. The j13 managed to rattle it a little.

0E79B52B-CA26-416A-8117-1BA66A7A1A8F.jpeg

• Like 2