Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

131gr Blackjack vs Game

Has anyone used the .25 cal 131gr Blackjack on game yet? How did it perform? 

Just a couple coyotes and jackrabbits.  They worked like a champ.  But I run a #60 wire bit down them.

I will be testing them in NM on pronghorn in August.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to test them on AZ pronghorn again this year, makes 24 years in a row.  Maybe I will draw a deer tag.

I know a couple guys who have used them on pronghorn and Coues. 

I asked blackjack about the HTR bullet they mentioned on the website and they said that bullet is on hold because the ACE was knocking things dead all the way up to elk. 

I am looking for some real world stuff though. 

I think I am going to try blackjack, hammer, and berger when I get my rifle finished and see what shoots best. 

2 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

We have killed a bunch of critters with them. Awesome so far.

Up to what size? Deer , elk, etc?

I’ll be using them on elk this year. Won’t have a report until then. 

34 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

Up to what size? Deer , elk, etc?

Pronghorn, deer and coyotes so far. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on elk at reasonable distances

Killed a free range aoudad ram with a 131 @ 147 yards last week... 3300 MV.  Very small entrance hole between ribs, no exit. Rear lungs, diaphragm and liver were completely shredded. Performed similar to VLD.

He was dead on his feet but made it about 40 yards down into a draw before short tumble. 

While testing I ran them out to 800 and needed a .340 G7 to get my dope right which jives with most folks experience.

I also ran a small bit to open up the nose because they just weren't consistent as Bergers. From what I could tell driving the bit down the cavity is relatively large and the jacket wall is nice and thick (I broke a bit and decided to cut it open).

Wouldn't hesitate to use them on Aoudad, deer, etc. I'm sure they would perform similarly to a Berger on an elk my only concern would be running one through a rib or shoulder. But I haven't killed an elk with a rifle before, just bow and muzzy.

• Like 2

Harley, what twist did you go with?  With a .257 Weatherby, I think a 1:8" would be plenty, while a 1:7" might be a bit too fast.  

Berger has the 115, and I hope they come out with a 130 in the future.

Hammer has a 121 and 128 if you have enough twist.

I ordered a 1:8 twist. 

I have killed a cow elk with the 115gr berger in this rifles original barrel with no problem, so if the perform like Bergers I am ok with that. 

I am going to try hammers too, and I have Bergers left from the current barrel. One of the 3 bullets should shoot well. 

I dont plan to make it my primary bull elk rifle, but I want it to be an option if i had to. I have larger calibers for bull elk. 

• Like 1