The regs say "any substance as bait", I think it's also important to define "bait"? I relate bait to food and not necessarily to smell. If smells are considered bait, then what about sounds? We all know that calling for bear is not considered baiting. In my opinion bait = food, not smells or sounds. I'm sure most of the game cops don't even agree/know the answer to this one. I'd steer clear of anything that could possibly be construed as bait.

I agree, a clear definition would be nice, but maybe they like it that way. Rough country is definetly the way to go. Thats where the bears will always be. This has been a great thread.

Scott

just pulled my camera out fo unit 22 did have one picture of a bear.looks to be about 2' away. never had any problems with bears but 2 different times had my film taken, luckly they could not get the camera off the tree..mike

Earlier this year, end of August, I got a pic of a Bear. It was in unit 33 on a salt lick, in some pretty rough country, on a ridgeline that was very thick on one side and very open on the other. The first picture the bear was pawing at the salt while the second it was looking directly at the camera, wondering what that flash was. It never bothered the camera.

Also, 2 weekends ago I was in 27 for my brothers late elk hunt and we saw five different bears in two days. They were all out in the snow munching on Juniper berries. It was really steep, thick country.

What have you guys learned from your trail cams about bears hibernating in AZ? Is there regions where they do and don't? I know one of the units I like still hasn't closed (there's actually a few) and I will be able to hunt during december so I'm hoping there still out.

Scott

I have actually seen a bear in a cave in unit 1 during december, I was very quite and flashed him or her w/ a flashlight. I left pretty quick beacause I had no weapon. I've been told on warm days they will get out and stretch, drink some water, maybe get a bite to eat. In the lower elevation areas I have no idea wheather they hibernate or not.

I spend a lot of time in unit 27 between 6000-8000 ft in elevation where bear populuations are very dense. We actually saw five in two days on my Nov. bull elk hunt. I often see tracks in the fairly deep snow and even found some poop on a frozen tank. I don't think these bears are doing much serious hibernating.

Brian Payne

Bowsnipers got it right. Look at the wording of the law/rule, ...... and think about the intent or purpose of the law....which is to keep people from whacking bears over attractants, which is no longer considered a legal method of take. Take has many components and is very far reaching, (look it up in the regs 17-101). So, those who are doing this kind of stuff, (knowingly baiting with any substance) whether they kill or not, are violating the law. Oh, and by the way, I wouldn't be too concerned about the scent of the film in your camera, cause i'm sure that you didn't "knowingly" place it there as an attractant to help you kill a bear.

Couesi1