I spend a lot of time on onX maps. Lately my focus has been on finding springs far from roads that I could possibly sit during this archery season. In your guys experience are the springs shown on onX actually real. Like does water actually come out where it says on the map. I’m a bit skeptical but I’ll end up hiking out to them and finding out for myself. 

3C04DE77-EB99-4DD6-A65B-D64E0E73DB02.jpeg

When it comes to finding live springs, tinajas, etc. there is no substitute for boot leather.  Unfortunately, many springs that were live year round are now dry or perennial.  Ground water pumping and a general drought have rendered an alarming number of natural water sources non existent.  Do your groundwork and you'll be OK.   

• Like 6

Depends on the year and time of year. Also depends if there’s been any fires there in the past decade. Only way to know for sure is to hike in and find out. You might get lucky and find a seep or spring that’s not mapped.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Depends on the year and time of year. Also depends if there’s been any fires there in the past decade. Only way to know for sure is to hike in and find out. You might get lucky and find a seep or spring that’s not mapped.

Ok I’ll hike out soon. I’m trying to get a head start this year. 

• Like 1

In semi dry yrs. ,we've spent a little time digging out where we see the animals tryn to find water. Especially if it's a spot where we found water before.

It's worked a few times !

Your going to find most marked springs are long dry. And a large number have water only certain times of year. Having equines I always get to know water first before packing to areas and even then sure things have been dry. I agree with the above that the population and droughts have hammered the ground water as well as the astronomical mismanagement of forests to the point where water can’t get 5 feet down before being sucked dry by the trees and shrubs. 

And if you do find some seeps or springs no guarantee deer will hit it. I bought the hikers guide to the huachuca mountains years ago (before onx) and made it a mission to find all the springs that were mentioned. Found Clark spring about halfway up the mountain but never had a deer water there on my cams. Just cats and bears.  You kind of have to read the area and think like a deer. Would I feel comfortable getting a drink here or is this too easy of an ambush spot?

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

And if you do find some seeps or springs no guarantee deer will hit it. I bought the hikers guide to the huachuca mountains years ago (before onx) and made it a mission to find all the springs that were mentioned. Found Clark spring about halfway up the mountain but never had a deer water there on my cams. Just cats and bears.  You kind of have to read the area and think like a deer. Would I feel comfortable getting a drink here or is this too easy of an ambush spot?

Ok this might be harder then I thought.  lol. I have one strategy though. I found one of those black tubes that leads to a cattle tank. If I follow that for a ways won’t  I be led to a spring?  I’ll put cams out to make sure deer come to it. 

Never a bad idea to trace a black tube up a canyon.  Dont count on water in the summer hunt though.  Monsoon rains can totally blow your plan. 

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Never a bad idea to trace a black tube up a canyon.  Dont count on water in the summer hunt though.  Monsoon rains can totally blow your plan. 

Oh yeah I didn’t even think about that. I might end up doing spot and stalk after all. 

Not saying dont try water, just saying you could have a pattern going and once rain hits it's done, at least for a few days depending on how much rain fell. 

Lot of good advice in this thread.  Most of it earned with leather and sweat. Best advice I can give you is to find an area you like and learn it well - "make it your own."

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

Lot of good advice in this thread.  Most of it earned with leather and sweat. Best advice I can give you is to find an area you like and learn it well - "make it your own."

Yeah I found an area that doesn’t have a ton of hunting pressure.  I’m gonna try to learn the area super well so I can take some friends there for their first rifle hunt. 

31 minutes ago, bradleylarson48 said:

Ok this might be harder then I thought.  lol. I have one strategy though. I found one of those black tubes that leads to a cattle tank. If I follow that for a ways won’t  I be led to a spring?  I’ll put cams out to make sure deer come to it. 

Better than finding the end of that black rainbow, look for leaks at connections. I know a few ranchers that won’t fix a small leak because it leaves a spot for wildlife to drink.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Better than finding the end of that black rainbow, look for leaks at connections. I know a few ranchers that won’t fix a small leak because it leaves a spot for wildlife to drink.

Sweet thanks. I’ll probably head out next week and try to find a good spot where I can put a car near a spring and a salt lick