Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

pronghorn scouting

Went out for a quick morning scout today looking for pronghorn. Saw quite a few including a giant buck. Water was suprisingly scarce even with the rains we've had lately. Hopefully I can keep an eye on that buck and figure out where he's watering at.

I'm looking forward to the season here in Wyoming as well. I picked up my Binos last night looking out the front door and saw 2 bucks about 400 yards away! Usually they are not quite that close to town, so it got the itch going for the season to get here. Feeling a bit spoiled by the prospect of hunting from home, but I'll probably need to go a few miles when the season opens. OTC deer tagor maybe a antelope doe tag, and Elk draw (I hope) after that.

Good luck to you on your hunt!

His info under his avatar pic says he's from Paulden. Thats right on the border of 19 A & B and unit 8 is just up the road. There is a good chance he can see them from his house.

His info under his avatar pic says he's from Paulden. Thats right on the border of 19 A & B and unit 8 is just up the road. There is a good chance he can see them from his house.

You know how the song goes Tim.

Has he and his bride left?

or have they returned ;)

19b, and yes I can see them from my house sometimes. Having pronghorn close to town is commonplace in these parts.

I live in Prescott, and while I've never seen them from the house I have seen them with in about a two minutes drive. The big bucks will be a lot more visable here in another month or so once they start to pay more attention to the does.

For what it's worth there is a great thread every year on the AZOD site where some of the top antelope guides post pic's and info on big antelope bucks. The thread is called "Early photos 2008". A person could learn a lot from those guys over there.

Here's pic's of the two best bucks I found last year. The first buck was killed by one of the auction tag winners and green scored 89 and change I believe. The second buck, which I nick named Fish Hook, was killed by a hunter but I never found out his score. I guessed him in the 86-87 inch range. Fish Hook was the coolest looking buck I've ever seen. I've probably got at least a half hour of video of each buck. It will be fun to see if any bucks with his unique genetic features pop up in the next few years. Both of these bucks lived in the same square mile or so of country.

post-25-1212942216.jpg

post-25-1212942279.jpg

Correction. Eli said the top buck was 88 2/8 inches green. With 17 plus horns.

I have two bucks that im keeping tabs on now, an while neither is the caliber of the bucks in the above photos, theyre both heavy well proportioned 16''ers. I have an archery tag so Id be more than grateful two stick either one. I missed a true giant of a buck in 19a a few years ago at thirty five yards that almost made me cry.

Eli had a hunter last year that killed a buck that looked a lot like your fish hook buck. I think they called him the freak or something like that.

Here he is 2007_Himes.jpg

Awesome buck.

TAM, those are some awesome bucks for sure.

those forward hooked bucks are unreal.. I've always wanted one of those badboys..

I've been real lucky with the 2 goat permits I've had (not AZ).. an 82"er and an 85"er..

Effenjeff, is your tag in 19b? If so I'll keep my eyes open for you and let you know if I see anything nice.

Terry, I saw pictures of that forward hooking buck that Eli's hunter killed last year but it's not the same buck. I've got a picture of Fish Hook dead that Chris Denham sent me last September but I won't post it because neither I nor Chris knows the hunter or has permission to post. I'd still like to know what he scores if anyone ever tracks it down. The pic of him dead really shows his character and size!

I'll keep my camera in the truck again this summer and try to find some more big bucks to post for everyone.

TAM,

This buck was killed in unit 10.

I also saw one like him in unit 7 two years ago that would have gone 86" or so--good looking buck but i don't think anyone has ever seen the 7 buck--he lives in the thick Ceders and he is hard to find. I saw him once and that was it--i tried to find him three times after that but no luck and i spent some time in there looking for him.

I hope i can get a tag for New Mexico this year--i had one last year but the bucks were dinks on the ranch i had and i opted not to kill one.