Sign in to follow this  
4Falls

pronghorn scouting

Thanks TAM, yes ive got a 19b archery tag.

Didnt see either of the two big bucks this morning, but there was some other folks in there this morning as well so they might have already pushed em around.

I'm right with you on the NM tag. I've drawn 2 in the last three years and have killed three of them in my life, but have yet to kill a biggun. NM is just hit and miss on the ranch assignment. Perhaps one day I'll get lucky three times and draw a tag, on a good ranch, and kill a big buck. So untill then I'll just keep my fingers crossed for an AZ tag and in the mean time I'll keep taking pic's of the good bucks I find in the Prescott area.

TAM,

I am picky now--when i first started hunting antelope i was just wanting to kill a buck--as it was my first rifle tag was in unit 2C and it is not known for a big antelope--i killed a buck that scored 83 4/8th SCI after sitting on my wall for 5 years--i would guess he would have been a little bigger when he hit the ground. Then i killed a 65" with my bow, then i was drawn for a muzzy tag--killed my biggest there--87 6/8 SCI 87 2/8th B&C--now i don't want to kill a buck unless he will be between the two big ones i have. There were two bucks on that ranch last year that would have been in the mid 70's and they were neat looking bucks but they needed to grow some more--there were two of us on the ranch and a kid killed a little 65'' buck but he was stoked about it.

My pappy is 73 and he has never been drawn--i was hoping this was his year but NOT! I put him in for New Mexico and i pray he gets a tag there this year.

Good luck on the draw buddy!!

I may have saved the life of at least one antelope buck yesterday.

After buying groceries and gas in Springerville I was returning to my cabin in Greer about 7 p.m. when I spotted two bucks running between the highway fences in front of me. Hot on their tails were three coyotes. I rolled down the windows and when I drew alongside the coyotes I honked and yelled, and they veered off.

It was the first time I've seen three coyotes chasing antelope. Usually I see only one or two at a time. It also was unusual to see them chasing adult males.

Unfortunately, some of the the does are dropping fawns now so I suppose those three devils haven't gone hungry.

Bill Quimby

You know Bill i have been told by biologists that coyote's do not hunt in packs but i have seen them work a doe until she was to tired to move ( i killed two of the dogs and the third ran off, the doe laid down and rested for over an hour before getting up again) i have also seen them use the relay hunt just like wolves do--i think they are evolving into pack hunters and they have been doing it for some time now.

Good for you for saving those bucks.

Hey Tam,

I have some pictures of both those bucks as well. That fish hook buck was very unique. He is the only buck like that I have seen in that area in a long time. Hopefully some of his genetics were passed on before he was taken.

Here's fish hook

DSC_0373-1.jpg

Here is that other buck.

DSC_0386.jpg

Here's three more of ole Fish Hook. The first is his profile and is basicly why I started calling him fish hook. When you looked at him from the side all you could see was lots of length and no prongs. However when you saw him from the front or back you could really see his prongs flare out to either side.

Blake, there was another buck out there last year that looked like a little brother to that 88 incher. I didn't get any good pic's of him, but he had to have been in the 83-84 inch range. As far as I know he never did get killed. We'll see here real soon if he turns up.

post-25-1212983351.jpg

post-25-1212983368.jpg

post-25-1212983378.jpg

You know Bill i have been told by biologists that coyote's do not hunt in packs but i have seen them work a doe until she was to tired to move ( i killed two of the dogs and the third ran off, the doe laid down and rested for over an hour before getting up again) i have also seen them use the relay hunt just like wolves do--i think they are evolving into pack hunters and they have been doing it for some time now.

Good for you for saving those bucks.

I seen the same thing in Unit 1 last year while on an antelope hunt with friends. I was odd but interesting watching the coyotes surround this doe, there were five dogs if I remember right, they kept this girl on the move to where she was tuckered out. A buck did however lend some help by chasing a couple dogs around and he was able to get the doe back with the others. I totally agree that pack hunting may be a new way for coyotes.

Hopefully I can have some pics here soon, I'll be scouting 3A on the 21st!

-J-

I took this photo on our last trip so it seems as though Fishhooks genetics will live on. :)

jeremyb - if you get frustrated with 3A let me know, I might have a spot for you to go check out.

FishhooksBrother.jpg

TAM.

Was either of these two bucks the "Little Brother" buck??

DSC_0379-1.jpg

DSC_0266-1.jpg

"You know Bill i have been told by biologists that coyote's do not hunt in packs..."

As I said before, this was the first time I have seen more than two coyotes going after antelope. They may not have been huntng in a pack like wolves, but those three certainly were planning on pronghorn for dinner until I drove up.

Bill Quimby

Blake, that second buck could be him. He was in the exact same area as big brother. Are those from last year?

Eli, I saw a buck last October or November that looked like a younger version of Fish Hook. He was herded up with at least 30 or so other antelope several miles to the west of where I watched Fish Hook during the rut. I wonder if that pic you posted is of the same buck I saw with another years growth?

Went out this morning in hopes of getting a buck on camera, but he was way to far out and on private land this morning. Saw about only 7 goats total and 2 were bucks. Ended up watching a buck for about an hour turned out to be a 75 incher. Might have the water figured out, we'll see.

Thanks for posting all the great pics gentlemen.