Sign in to follow this  
Heat

Outrider 2.5

Last year I got back out on the ocean after a long dry spell of no offshore fishing. I went on a 1.5 day on the Tomahawk and limited on 10-12# yellowtail. Really liked the crew. Fast forward to January this year and I get an invite for a 2.5 Day Charter from a guy I fished with with about 15 years ago or so. Just couldn't make an opportunity to get out there with him after more invitations than I deserved but I really wanted to try to get on this one. The boat was the Outrider which I had not heard about. Turns out Captain Jeff Spafford from Tomahawk last year got something put together to buy a boat with a partner. Sounded too good to be true so I was excited to try and book a spot but knew very little about the vessel. After other summer plans tanked and we ran out of yellowtail I got the green light to go. Sent Rick (charter master) my deposit and that was that. 

Got a free parking spot out in front of Pizza Nova and met up with the Rick. Grabbed a couple of last minute items and had a delicious smoked tuna sandwich and clam chowder from Point Loma Seafoods with a Bells Ale to wash it down. Finally got on the boat at 9 and headed out. One crew member was different but otherwise 3 of the 4 were guys I was familiar with. Captain Jeff, 2nd Capt Mike, Chapo, and Teddy.

Woke up about 4:30 to Jeff on the intercom letting us know there were fish under the boat. Here we go. Turns out first day we were just south of San Clemente Island going for the bigguns. I got the first bite but messed that up almost instantly when a very small loop of line caught my harness lug on my reel and he got off. I was right next to the wheelhouse when it happened and Jeff jumped out to try and help but he was gone once we got the the line off the lug. Strike 1. Jeff was unimpressed but it was encouraging that I could get bit. That was on flyline. A few guys were fishing the sinker rig and started getting fish. I changed it up and went to the sinker rig too, which was on my heavy outfit. I brought a 25#, 40#, and 80# rigs. We had a number of fish on the boat by mid day but I hadn't had any more action but Rick already had day 1 limit and a few others had one each with one maybe 60#, another about 70 but the rest were 35-40 mostly. I kept at it and finally got bit on the sinker rig. Line started peeling like crazy off my Fathom 40N2! What a rush! It did not take long for me to realize this was a ballgame I had never played. This fish was strong but fairly well behaved. I went around 2 or 3 times, saw him up on the surface and realized this was a big fish. I eventually got so tired I was making the guys nervous. Teddy asked for the rod and I obliged. He gave me a break for a while and got after it. He went around a time or two also. Finally got him up and down and he got the gaff I had the rod and the fish was stuck. When he came up and was a few feet below the surface I was blown away. I had never seen one this big up close! Wow. So ya I got bit and hooked and fought that fish the best I could but I would not have landed it without Teddy helping. Period. I was kind of ashamed I couldn't bring him in on my own but Teddy reassured me that they do that for all kinds of people every trip. Ok, sucks but is what it is. We got him on the boat and I had a bunch of fish. Not sure if I can really call him my personal best but its by far the biggest fish I ever hooked and fought. We got maybe a few more and that was it. We saw a lot of life out there from boils and foamers to whales and porpoise. Great day!

Day 2 we were SW of Coronado Islands. Lots of other boats in the zone. Took a bit but finally got a school to go. Started picking them off one and two at a time. When we had 5 going at once Jeff put some tunes on and we were having a blast! Everybody got to pull on fish. Some guys had their limit and were handing off. I think Rick must have handed off more than a dozen. Captain hooked up left and right. I gladly took one. Eventually I was bit again and got my own fish on that stop. This one was much more cooperative and I got him on the boat in 15 or 20 minutes maybe. 30# or so like most of the fish that day. Eventually a skiff from Ensenada did donuts around us, drove right through our chum line and killed our bite. We probably drifted on that school for at least 2 or 3 hours. We only had a few more fish for boat limits to go. I had 3 at this time. Last stop got a few more going and I landed another handoff on Jeff's rod. Dang thing was a little Fathom 12 with like 20# test. His gear got bit well but it was heck trying to get him in when the Skipper instructs you in no uncertain terms not to touch his drag. Sucks to sit there winding and get nowhere but thats how those two handoffs worked out. On my 25# rig it was a piece of cake compared to his. Rounded out our day filling our limit. Killer day on the water with everybody having fun, joking around, pulling on fish and loading the boat. 

Forgot to mention that I gave my fish to 5 Star to get processed. They did it pretty fast and did a fine job. I was on the road by 9 or so and that included a short stop to chat with Lee. Captain Jeff estimated the live weight of the fish as an 80#er as you can hear in his report below. After bleeding out and being out of the water for almost 2 days it was 72# on the scale at the processor on their paperwork they gave me. I think it's safe to say that fish was at least 75# when he came over the rail, maybe more. The others were all right in that 30# range. I took 161# to get processed!

There was lots of room at the rail to fish with 10 anglers total. This boat is a little more expensive than your typical sport boat, maybe a little less than a 6 pack per person. I would not hesitate for a second to take another trip with the Outrider and her crew. Food was great and ample! They run a tight, clean operation. Most of all they fish hard and have a good time doing it.

Mission accomplished! Awesome trip overall! I would highly recommend the Outrider to anybody that wants to fish with some awesome guys who know how to kill em. Let me know if anybody has any questions I didn't cover!

https://www.sandiegofishreports.com/fish_reports/162634/outrider-2.5-day-charter:-limits-of-bft.php

thumbnail_20200725_153958.jpg

20200725_154134.jpg

20200727_060646.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow! 1

Nice writeup, I am heading out Saturday.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, n2horns said:

Nice writeup, I am heading out Saturday.

Good Luck man!

• Like 1

shortfin are a special kind of pain and frustration.  no other fish gets more  "what just happened?  where did he go?"  moments than bft.  great writeup sir and honored by the morning visit.  you did good, and that Outrider operation is a rare bunch!  that's one way to git a can or 2 of tuna huh?

lee

• Like 1

SCI might be shutdown for a while since there was a training "mishap" with the military.

Massive search under way off California for 8 missing U.S. Marines; one dead

https://news.yahoo.com/one-u-marine-dead-eight-112734166.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, mesajeeper said:

Thanks for the report.  I am headed out on a 1.5 tonight.  Hope we can do as well as you guys!

Right on, Good Luck!

4 hours ago, mesajeeper said:

Thanks for the report.  I am headed out on a 1.5 tonight.  Hope we can do as well as you guys!

Good luck and drive safe.  We are leaving about 230 tomorrow morning.

Weather is sunny and 80 with calm seas.

• Like 1