Sign in to follow this  
Idahocoueshunter

Leftover tag question

Were the leftover tags for deer open for out of state hunters, despite the non resident cap meeting the quota in the first draw?  We called AZGFD after the leftover tag list came out. The lady I spoke with said the tags would be available, via written applications, by US mail, no sooner than 0800 hours on July 20, regardless of residency, on a first come basis. I guess it’s possible we just didn’t draw for a second time, but at 1530 hours on July 20th, one tag was still available.  Does anyone have any insight on the drawing process for leftover permits?  Thanks. Craig. 

@1530 hours they took lunch updated the draw list and then chose the one tag out of 1000 envelopes. 

The applications are dumped on a table and they are randomly chosen.  For the 500 or so leftover tags, there were very likely 10 or 20 times that many applications

4 hours ago, idgaf said:

@1530 hours they took lunch updated the draw list and then chose the one tag out of 1000 envelopes. 

The applications are dumped on a table and they are randomly chosen.  For the 500 or so leftover tags, there were very likely 10 or 20 times that many applications

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^

It is not a computer draw like the first go-round.

Then its not first come first serve, its first grab of the table. Joke

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

Then its not first come first serve, its first grab of the table. Joke

Not sure if it's still the case, but they once used DOC dudes to open envelopes for the leftovers.

• Wow! 1

Ya give all our info to an inmate.. There some smart people at the departmenT. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildwoody said:

Ya give all our info to an inmate.. There some smart people at the departmenT. 

My uncle was a doc guard that prisoners liked during that time.  I don't know if was coincidence but we got drawn an awful lot. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I've heard just about all of them. I had one guy tell me that he put Bob Hirschs address on his envelope and always got drawn, another told me that he sent his resident application in a non resident envelope and it never failed. Back when it was all paper I put in for a left over tag and I called the office in the afternoon of the draw. The lady that I was talking to was certainly crabby. If I didn't know better I could have sworn that I was having a conversation with one of my ex's.

Out of curiosity, whan applying for a leftover do you get to choose which one you would like or are you just applying for ANY leftover and you get what the give you? Never needed to apply for one so was just curious.

55 minutes ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

Out of curiosity, whan applying for a leftover do you get to choose which one you would like or are you just applying for ANY leftover and you get what the give you? Never needed to apply for one so was just curious.

You get to pick just like a normal app.  And if your picks are gone, you don't get a permit even if there are other ones left.

Well, thanks for the information. I’ve heard applications are up 17-20%.  Most western states are up from years past. Coronavirus is supposed to be a factor, but I don’t know. Idaho said it was about 17% over last year. I couldn’t draw last year, so sure as heck didn’t draw this year. I’ll be hunting a lot of birds, I guess. 

• Like 1