Sign in to follow this  
Outdoor Writer

SOLD PF --Vintage Spyderco Clip Knives

BOTH KNIVES ARE SOLD PENDING FUNDS

I acquired these knives direct from Spyderco in the early1980s at an outdoor show, while the patent for their design was still pending. Like the Circe call I listed, I cannot find an image of these exact knives. I even checked the Spyderco forum, where I joined two days ago but still haven't been verified to post images or questions. I was able to view all the other posts, however.

FROM THE WEBSITE:

Why the Round Hole?
One of the most common questions we get from people new to Spyderco knives is “Why the Round Hole?” The Round Hole allows the blade of a folding knife to be swiftly and easily opened with only one hand. This revolutionary feature was granted a U.S. utility patent in 1981 and literally helped define the form of the modern folding knife. Unlike thumb studs, disks, and other one-hand-opening attachments, the hole offers a larger surface area for greater reliability and does not interfere with the cutting action of the blade. An iconic symbol of our brand, the Trademark Round Hole™ also serves as a user-friendly alternative to a traditional nail nick in our two-hand-opening folders and a proud expression of our brand identity in our fixed-blade knives.

Why the Clip?
Spyderco was the first company to equip a folding knife with a pocket clip. This revolutionary feature was introduced on our very first folding knife design in 1981 and allows a folding knife to be carried at the top of the pocket where it is easily accessible and does not interfere with access to other items in the pocket. This brilliantly simple idea inspired our entire line of CLIP-IT® knives and also helped define the form of the modern folding knife. Although it is now commonplace on most brands of folding knives, it all started with Spyderco.

These models were made in Seki, Japan and are entirely stainless steel. They are nearly identical except for the blades; one has a smooth edge and the other -- engraved one -- is serrated. The engraved one has never been used or sharpened. The other was only lightly used maybe twice. Any scratches came about because they were thrown in a drawer with other stuff for nearly 40 years.

My name is actually a copy of my signature back then, so it's kind of an autograph. 

Straight Blade - $125

Serrated -- $160

I will consider reasonable offers but no trades. Payment via PayPal (buyer doesn't need an acct; just a CC or checking acct.) or cash only. Picked up near 67th Ave. and Camelback or shipped at buyer's expense.

spyderco5.jpg.54e51795425373836c6ded9f68774bc5.jpg

spyderco6.jpg.ca8d9a1b33882ade9c7f479d8a937403.jpg

spyderco7.jpg.dee5bb4f6244c6c87e613042e3fdcde0.jpg

P1000422.JPG.a115db87729c69dfb853c573031adca0.JPG

spyderco9jpg.jpg.e9bdda9fb450eb3aa02b19dc5f7deb54.jpg

spyderco8.jpg

That's pretty cool Tony. I cut my very first fingertip off with a spyderco.

Since I'm a Duwane Adams fanboy and always enjoyed the informational posts here you've posted,  I'd love the serrated one to keep as a memento.  Happy to pay full price but I'm broke at the moment! I'm owed a measurable sum but waiting for paperwork to go through unless a couple folks sign my kitchen remodel contract.  Heck, I think I'd be happy to take both of your hands and since my work is slow and im a licensed contractor. I'd love to come work for you for a day too! Maybe share a beer and show me your trophies with a couple stories to boot?

44 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Since I'm a Duwane Adams fanboy and always enjoyed the informational posts here you've posted,  I'd love the serrated one to keep as a memento.  Happy to pay full price but I'm broke at the moment! I'm owed a measurable sum but waiting for paperwork to go through unless a couple folks sign my kitchen remodel contract.  Heck, I think I'd be happy to take both of your hands and since my work is slow and im a licensed contractor. I'd love to come work for you for a day too! Maybe share a beer and show me your trophies with a couple stories to boot?

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. A contractor needs to learn that to survive. Just sayin. 

Not any of my business, but I have learned a few things being self employed.

1 minute ago, 5guyshunting said:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. A contractor needs to learn that to survive. Just sayin. 

Not any of my business, but I have learned a few things being self employed.

Been "learnin" for 20 some years (yes I realize thats not too long).  Didn't feel this was the post to explain the scemnatics of the situation necessarily.  Haven't advertised since 2014, Saw something I thought was cool while also bad timing.  Life happens. 

4 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Been "learnin" for 20 some years (yes I realize thats not too long).  Didn't feel this was the post to explain the scemnatics of the situation necessarily.  Haven't advertised since 2014, Saw something I thought was cool while also bad timing.  Life happens. 

I know, its only $100 bucks. Contracting is always a gamble. Not trying to beat you up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5guyshunting said:

I know, its only $100 bucks. Contracting is always a gamble. Not trying to beat you up.

I know your not.  It's all about timing right now.  I remodel foreclosed homes. Timings not the best at the moment. Cant wait til this covid crap blows over. 

18 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Thanks for the sentiments, Kev, but I much prefer a plain ol' uncomplicated sale with money. 

• Like 2