Sign in to follow this  
OpticNerd

Antler Growth

With such a dry monsoon I thought the coues antler growth was going to be a bit lacking this year but from what little I've seen online and in person it's actually looking pretty good. How about everyone else? Anyone seeing any drought stricken coues out there?

All of the bucks I’m looking at are doing great, but another factor would be the location the deer are at and what kind of vegetation is present along with water.

The area I'm hunting is extremely dry but there is water available for the deer. Been hunting this area for the past 10-15 years and as far as I can remember I've never seen such a lack of greenery at this time of year. I've been wondering for a while now if the bucks are eating a different kind feed that is better for antler growth during a drier growing period when compared to a wet one? I know a lot of hunters think a drier year is better for antelope horn growth when compared to a wet one. Could this be possible for deer as well in some areas?

5 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Rainfall has little to nothing to do with antler growth.

How can that be?

2 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

How can that be?

I’m not even sure that dude hunts. 

that being said, I was told coues dont need much rain because they don’t use as much energy surviving and growing horns like say an elk. Which makes perfect sense to me 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Rainfall has little to nothing to do with antler growth.

Laffin. Ok. Minimal relative to other species but that's just flat not accurate....

Coues seem to take drought on average better than any ungulate I've seen. I've got good bucks on camera and I'm in a spot that has had 0.74" of rain since March. But, ponds were full entering spring....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

that being said, I was told coues dont need much rain because they don’t use as much energy surviving and growing horns like say an elk. Which makes perfect sense to me 

Had a text earlier today that proves he in fact does hunt.  Quite well IMO. Not my place to prove it though.

You didn't think i hunted until i posted my last buck though.  

Cant see how rain doesnt affect it though.  Of course it does seem moisture on southern end of AZ is not the same as up on the rim but i I thought for sure WT down here would ne great.  I havent been out yet though so i have no personal experience.  

21 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I would agree with something similar...

Ive always been under the impression coues mostly obtain moisture from their diet,  especially bucks. Ive also applied this idea to southern deer. Not deer close to the rim. Which is why im not a big water hole sitting guy.   Just not dependable enough to me to sit and suffer for hours.   But still if they aquire moisture from plants, especially bucks i cant see how rain is not a factor?

13 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Idk, creedaz near us mentioned his top 2 had significant loss this season. Surprised me. 

Does that Creed dude even hunt😜