Sign in to follow this  
creed

airbow

13 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

If a guy can shoot an airbow, he can put in for rifle hunts and shoot a rifle. What’s next 

RPG

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, creed said:

RPG

First deer hunt I went on, was not long after desert storm. I spotted a deer way out there in a field, I’m like shoot it! My dads buddy “we’d need a scud launcher to get him” 

that still cracks me up under the right circumstances 

• Like 1

Units 7, 12, 17B, 20B, 27, 35A, and 39-42 had a hunt in the rut that was either general or muzzleloader where you could kill a mule deer buck.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, creed said:

lost about half use of my left arm

my sympathies sir.  in 2006 i fell during a ceiling remodel and crushed a vertebrae resulting in 50% loss.  sold my bow and that was that.

lee

ps i had a rifle bull tag that autumn while still at 10%.  made the long cross canyon shot but packing the head out friends had to tie my hand and arm to the rack.

001.thumb.jpg.e9f897b94c8523dc8464d09044df3c8f.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Heat said:

Units 7, 12, 17B, 20B, 27, 35A, and 39-42 had a hunt in the rut that was either general or muzzleloader where you could kill a mule deer buck.

Nick, I don't remember that. But then I wasn't into hunting the late hunts either. I do remember when there were leftover muzzy tags for the late desert hunt.  I was lucky enough this year to draw that same hunt. Maybe use an airbow :) Just kidding, I think?🙄

Ya they started doing more late mule deer hunts, which is great. Pretty limited but they spread them around the Regions at least one hunt per Region generally. At least there is that option now where it did not exist before unless you got that Region 4 or 5 Muzzleloader or went to the Kaibab. Now there are some late muley hunts all over.

Creed, I'm in the same boat, had to hang up the compound after shoulder surgery #3. No stability to hold a bow steady.  And I'm with you in  that most archery seasons are during the best times of  the year to be in the field.  I went and  got a cross bow permit, and it cost me a lot more than my $10 copay  and I didnt go to a Chiropractor.  Considering I run into  "archery hunters" taking 100 plus yard shots during archery antelope and deer seasons with their adjustable sight compounds  and they consider it ethical, I dont think you've got a valid bitch, Heat.

• Like 2

Just now, NOTAGS said:

Creed, I'm in the same boat, had to hang up the compound after shoulder surgery #3. No stability to hold a bow steady.  And I'm with you in  that most archery seasons are during the best times of  the year to be in the field.  I went and  got a cross bow permit, and it cost me a lot more than my $10 copay  and I didnt go to a Chiropractor.  Considering I run into  "archery hunters" taking 100 plus yard shots during archery antelope and deer seasons with their adjustable sight compounds  and  and they consider it ethical, I dont think you've got a valid bitch, Heat.

Honestly if its legal by all means use it, but calling it archery on any level is ridiculous. Its a gun that shoots an arrow and I stand by my statement that it doesn't belong in an archery season. Its more like a muzzleloader. The archers shooting 100 yards is the same as the 1000 yards rifle hunting and is a totally different topic.

• Like 1

Heat, the same can be said for modern compounds by the traditional hunters.  

Technology is going to continue to modernize any tool however conceptually a hand drawn and released bow is quite different than precharged air projecting an arrow out of a rifle configuration. I agree with heat, if it's legal use it and enjoy, but I think there is a large fundamental difference between these tools. 

• Like 2

I guess we can agree to disagree without making other arguments out if this one right? This is a shoulder fired weapon with a scope. Calling it an air "bow" is assinine!

Sorry Bruce, didn't mean to take your topic on a tangent with one of my pet peeves. I also do not begrudge anybody with legitimate physical limitations who want to keep hunting. I just don't think this thing belongs in the field with a guy shooting a bow. It is legal and probably here to stay. I don't have to like it, and I am still entitled to my opinion. And yes I did address my concerns to the Commission when the time came.

24 minutes ago, Heat said:

I guess we can agree to disagree without making other arguments out if this one right? This is a shoulder fired weapon with a scope. Calling it an air "bow" is assinine!

So is a crossbow. Yet crossbows were primitive weapons of old.  As were the original  muzzleloaders.  Calling the modern compound with 80% let off, adjustable sighting and 340 fps a primitive weapon or bow is pretty far fetched as well.