Sign in to follow this  
LifeFeedsOnLife

Sitting Water

Not sure if you guys follow Bow Disciples on UT, but he was sitting in his tree stand over a water source in New Mexico,  during his elk hunt.  While in his stand, a side by side pulls up to the tank and one guy tells the other, "hey look, there are two trail cameras, should we take the memory cards?"  In a loud stern voice, James says, "NO!".  They then start the side by side and drive off.  The kicker is, they had a kid in the back seat with them.  

On 9/25/2020 at 4:14 PM, LifeFeedsOnLife said:

Had an interesting situation come up on my elk hunt last week.  Sat a tank a couple of days in a row, first day about 3 or so a truck with a couple guys drives up and I wave they leave and proceed to park about 75 yards from the tank in the wide open and leave to hunt. Sat a little longer then decide to leave and see if i can turn anything up.  Day 2 same situation so I get up and go ask if they would at least go park up in the trees out of sight and then things start to go south.  Guy has two bad knees and a crossbow says he can't walk around like the rest of us.  Continues to say that since he put in the time scouting this summer and built a blind he has the right to the tank.  I tell him that I put in a lot of time scouting built a blind and was there hours before him so he doesn't have the right to squat.   As far as the handicaps I feel for him but he knew his limitation before he decided to put in and it's not everyone else's responsibility to cater.  He basically told me such and such tank down the way had several guys sitting at once and if I was there the next day he'd do the same.  I wanted to go check out some other areas anyway so I ended up leaving the next day but I told him that was a bs way to act and questioned why he'd want to hunt like that anyway.  All this is to ask is this really a thing?  Multiple people sitting a tank and what, playing quick draw to see who shoots first? It really chapped my hide and I really don't understand anyone would want to do it.

Sir,

It is pretty simple. If you are sitting water and someone approaches you politely ask them to leave. If they refuse you let them know you are going to call the game warden and let them know they are in violation of ARS 17-316 and it is hunter harassment which is a misdemeanor. Game warden is probably to busy to respond but it is the best you can do and if the person has any ethics they will leave. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Markleo21377 said:

Sir,

It is pretty simple. If you are sitting water and someone approaches you politely ask them to leave. If they refuse you let them know you are going to call the game warden and let them know they are in violation of ARS 17-316 and it is hunter harassment which is a misdemeanor. Game warden is probably to busy to respond but it is the best you can do and if the person has any ethics they will leave. 

I believe the other guy with the crossbow also had a tag so I think hunter harassment would never fly.  It's public land and if the guy choose to sit right next to you I don't believe legally you could do a thing about it.  Hunter ethics would suggest first come first serve and he should have moved on.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 654321 said:

I believe the other guy with the crossbow also had a tag so I think hunter harassment would never fly.  It's public land and if the guy choose to sit right next to you I don't believe legally you could do a thing about it.  Hunter ethics would suggest first come first serve and he should have moved on.

Sir, this is the quote from the regs book in regards to hunting water. It can certainly apply to someone with or without tag

"Ethics about “First-Come, 
First-Served”
“First Come – First Serve” is a common 
courtesy that should be used when more 
than one person wants to hunt the same 
area or waterhole, regardless of who has 
a tree stand or blind in the area. Confron-
tations in hunting situations can involve 
firearms and hot tempers. Whether you 
are in the city or next to a waterhole, any 
threats, intimidation, assault, or disorder-
ly conduct can result in citations, arrests 
and/or jail time. Refrain from confron-
tational behavior — ethical hunting is 
everyone’s business."

14 hours ago, Markleo21377 said:

Sir,

That's halarius. .

Ha ha ha

56 minutes ago, Markleo21377 said:

Sir, this is the quote from the regs book in regards to hunting water. It can certainly apply to someone with or without tag

"Ethics about “First-Come, 
First-Served”
“First Come – First Serve” is a common 
courtesy that should be used when more 
than one person wants to hunt the same 
area or waterhole, regardless of who has 
a tree stand or blind in the area. Confron-
tations in hunting situations can involve 
firearms and hot tempers. Whether you 
are in the city or next to a waterhole, any 
threats, intimidation, assault, or disorder-
ly conduct can result in citations, arrests 
and/or jail time. Refrain from confron-
tational behavior — ethical hunting is 
everyone’s business."

I didn't see where the guy threatened, intimidated, assaulted, or acted in a disorderly way. If he chose to sit 30 yards down the bank on the tank it would certainly be unethical but highly doubt illegal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Markleo21377 said:

....."Ethics ..... 
courtesy....

Well there's your problem.... Two things that seem to be in short supply these days.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 654321 said:

I didn't see where the guy threatened, intimidated, assaulted, or acted in a disorderly way. If he chose to sit 30 yards down the bank on the tank it would certainly be unethical but highly doubt illegal.

Agree with you for sure. It's all up to interpretation and of course in this world passing gas can be considered by some as threatening 😂