NitroAZ

Rage Broadheads

I shot a carp in UT 2yrs ago with a SpitFire that did not open - not sure why, operator error is always a possibility, and he died anyway, but he ran a LOT further than he would have had the blades opened... guess he knew I needed the exercise 'cuz he ran STRAIGHT down hill about a half a mile.

the coues I shot last august i used a 2-blade rage and left a HUGE exit hole in the chest cavity - actually pushed a fist-sized piece of lung out of the chest.

I'm a believer in RAGE!

My son used the 3 blade on his archery deer and elk in 07

How did it perform on the bull? What type of shot was it (broadside ....)? I too was looking at the three blade for my bull hunt.

Snuffer's son Chris turned me onto them last fall after shooting that deer. Shot my bull last year with the 2 blade Rage, he died in mere moments. Killed my big coues this past January with it also and it went less than 150 yards. I'll keep using them.......

ANy problems with them opening up in your quiver or in flight?

I am trying out Grim Reaper mechanicals this year, pulling just 60 pounds. I am nervous about it, but everyone assures me they work. So -- for those guys that have used mechanicals -- are you pulling just a little weight, or shooting super fast bows? Does that make a difference with mechanicals?

I shoot 400 grain arrows with a 75lb draw weight and a 31 in draw length. My bow shoots around 290' a second

with my current hunting set up. I shot my bull with the Grim Reapers and had horrible results. We had glass on em at

48 yards when my arrow stuck em in what looked to be the a sweet spot.

Found em 5 day's later :(

60 # is plenty if you have a modern bow. Shoot the # you are comfortable with. Speed is only one factor in penetration or blades opening on mechanicals. Kinetic energy and of coarse shot placement are the others. Usually the heavier your arrow the higher K.E. If you are shooting above 250 feet per second with at least a medium size arrow of 400 grains or better any modern broadhead should have a clean pass through on a broadside vital shot. So don't worry about broadhead and penetration and all that other MARKETING BS from the bow companys. Worry about the important things--- finding a nice animal and getting a good shot without shaking too much. ( I am still working on that). I used mechanicals for years and never had one fail even when shooting a bow way slower than your bow. I stopped using mechanicals a few years ago for three reasons.

1 They are noisy in the quiver.

2 I got tired of always worrying about rubber bands and O rings.

3. I can buy 6 Muzzys for the price of three Mechanicals.

Bob

I shoot 400 grain arrows with a 75lb draw weight and a 31 in draw length. My bow shoots around 290' a second

with my current hunting set up. I shot my bull with the Grim Reapers and had horrible results. We had glass on em at

Huntin Coues,

That sucks, no worse feeling in hunting. Did you get a pass through? Were you able to recover the broadhead? to see if it malfunctioned. Are you a muzzy guy now?

Bob

P.s. Maybe I need to rethink my previous advice.

Snuffer's son Chris turned me onto them last fall after shooting that deer. Shot my bull last year with the 2 blade Rage, he died in mere moments. Killed my big coues this past January with it also and it went less than 150 yards. I'll keep using them.......

ANy problems with them opening up in your quiver or in flight?

I just barely push the tips into the foam and it seems to work ok. I check them for looseness from time to time but for the most part I haven't had any probs. I love them things! Thank you to CPugsie for making them and supplying a few to me!

Sorry guys, but I just think you can't beat Muzzys. I shoot 4 blade 100 grain Muzzy's and they fly just like my field points! You never have to worrie about mechanical failure, quartering shots, angled shots or exses noise in the quiver. Not to mention the penitration power they have. I shot my pig last Jan. in the head right below her left eye (she moved positions right as I shot!!) and my arrow went through her skull out her jaw and into her right shoulder and out into the ground. But that's just my $.02!

post-2570-1217050606_thumb.jpg

Huntin Coues,

That sucks, no worse feeling in hunting. Did you get a pass through? Were you able to recover the broadhead? to see if it malfunctioned. Are you a muzzy guy now?

Bob

P.s. Maybe I need to rethink my previous advice.

My arrow only penetrated a little over 3/4 of the way :huh: (found the broke off piece)

As far as recovering the broadhead.....well... he was just one big pile of maggots so we opted not to.

Not a Muzzy guy....still shooting the Spitfires which have alway's done their job well and alway's seem to have pass throughs.

I never should have expierimented with another broadhead! :(

I had two friends that had problems with them (Rage) on elk last year..... One broadside/quartered away, hit right behind the shoulder. Did not penitrate well, minimal blood loss and no bull.... he spent the rest of his hunt looking for the one. <_< The second bull was hit a bit far back at last light... It was cold weather (Nov. hunt) so he left him over night.... we found the bull the next morning 60 yds from point of impact bedded, Still Alive!! :blink: <_< :angry: Two more perfect kill shots at less than 10 yds with minimal penitration.... the bull finally was blead out with knife. <_< :angry: You could not pay me to use those Rage Broadheads!!

I prefir fixed blade Thunderheads for elk.... but would not hesitate to use the Spitfires on elk either... I have killed a lot of coues and my Desert ram with the 100 gr Spitfires and all have been short recoveries. My wife will be shooting 85 gr Thunderheads this August, they have a touch bigger cutting diameter than any other 85 gr. heads I could find..... every 1/8th counts when you are bloodtrailing....IMO.

Hey, Muzzy guys.... I will not deny that Muzzy's are best heads made... but, any of you have problems with the 4 blade wound closing up on elk or bear??? I have lots of feed back that the 3 blade is much better about not doing that on thicker haired critters.... Just currious.....

Moral of the story:

Friends don't let friends use the Rage heads...... ;) :P :rolleyes:

Sorry guys, but I just think you can't beat Muzzys. I shoot 4 blade 100 grain Muzzy's and they fly just like my field points! You never have to worrie about mechanical failure, quartering shots, angled shots or exses noise in the quiver. Not to mention the penitration power they have. I shot my pig last Jan. in the head right below her left eye (she moved positions right as I shot!!) and my arrow went through her skull out her jaw and into her right shoulder and out into the ground. But that's just my $.02!

Another vote for the muzzy broadheads. Excellent flight and very durable. Great penetration with lots of damage. Killed my cow elk last year and she barely took 2 steps to turn around and fell. Easy tracking job :lol: ;)

My arrow only penetrated a little over 3/4 of the way :huh: (found the broke off piece)

As far as recovering the broadhead.....well... he was just one big pile of maggots so we opted not to.

Not a Muzzy guy....still shooting the Spitfires which have alway's done their job well and alway's seem to have pass throughs.

I never should have expierimented with another broadhead!

You probably only single lunged him which is not good enough on a elk. You were lucky to find him at all. I used a spitfire on a bull in 2001 and had a clean pass through and short 100 yard recovery. Would never say anything bad about them. I have never used the Rages or Grim reapers so i will amend my previous post to say that if I were to use mechanicals the three that I have used and trust are Rockets ,First Cut by game tracker and Spitfires. But I will probably never change or experiment with anything else either. I have confidence in the muzzy 100 grain 4 blades. If things don't go right I know the only thing to blame is the shooter. Having confidence in your equipment is the most important thing.

Bob

I shot my mulie with the Rage 2 blade last year, slightly uphill shot took out the top of his lung and the bottom of his spine, dropped him in his tracks. I dont think I trust them enough for my elk hunt this year but for deer they are the only head Im using. Gonna shoot Wacems for elk.