NitroAZ

Rage Broadheads

I have confidence in the muzzy 100 grain 4 blades. If things don't go right I know the only thing to blame is the shooter. Having confidence in your equipment is the most important thing.

Bob

You kind'of nailed it on the head! It all boils down to making a perfect shot! I know my post above shows I hit my pig in the head (which no one should do on purpose!) But you should always use equipment that can account for the worst case scenario when shooting stick and string beacuse there are too many variables that could possibly happen!!

In my case with my pig, I was on a ridge with the herd at the base of the vally going up the hill of the next ridge. My brother shoot the first pig and I got on the call and had them all running wlid towards us. My pig was quarting towards me when I shot, but she quickly moved her body down hill as my arrow hit making the arrow to hit her in the face...but caused her to expire in less than a minute!

C n S...I have yet to stick a critter bigger than a pig with my 4 blade muzzy's. Hopefully I can let you know after archery bear and deer this year!

Last year, I put a guy on a small racked, big bodied 3x3 muley. 90 grain 4 blade Muzzy blew through him and made him bleed like a freakin siv! 32 yard shot, the buck went 30 yards... Maybe you guys remember the pic that I posted??

I stuck a pig at 22 yds with a 3 blade 100 gr muzzy blew through him like nothing.

My verdict is that Rage would be decent on deer, and pigs. Prolly wouldnt use them on Muleys, or elk. Cant beat s fixed blade for the big stuff. I have never stuck anything with the Wac'ems but they fly great. I will have them on the end of my arrows come opening day of archery deer.

I thought it was kinda weird that no one has said anything about Vortex Broadheads. They are very basic mechanicals and shoot just like field tips for me. Anyone have anything good to say/horror stories about Vortex?

My son used the 3 blade on his archery deer and elk in 07

How did it perform on the bull? What type of shot was it (broadside ....)? I too was looking at the three blade for my bull hunt.

azbowhunter22 My son said the bull went appx. 70 yards and colapsed after a broadside shot.

Firscousewas80 the hanging weight on this bull was 534 lbs by no means a small elk and the rage did its job.

I have shot vortex for meny years 75 g head have shot 2 elk 4 deer and meny pigs and all have expired very quickly one elk went 100 yards every thing else under 60 yards . I will not shoot anything but vortex .

My buddy shoots them and has had no problems with them they work great

Bruce

VOrtex stink as far as I am concerned. My only lost game with a bow was with one of them. I arrowed a spike from 10 yards and it was a complete pass through, a little high, but the stupid blades never opened because the o ring didnt slide back. If they would have opened it should have caught the top of both lungs. As it was I trailed the thing for over 8 hours and never found it, went back and looked for ravens and never found any so hopefully it just sealed itself off. I swore them off forever that day. I have a few friends who love them though, but I will never shoot them again. ag

I shot the Shuttle T's last night. Shot just like my field points and had a 3" group at 40 yards with three arrows. Will shoot 50, 60, and 70 soon, I'll keep you posted!

]

Sorry guys, but I just think you can't beat Muzzys. I shoot 4 blade 100 grain Muzzy's and they fly just like my field points! You never have to worrie about mechanical failure, quartering shots, angled shots or exses noise in the quiver. Not to mention the penitration power they have. I shot my pig last Jan. in the head right below her left eye (she moved positions right as I shot!!) and my arrow went through her skull out her jaw and into her right shoulder and out into the ground. But that's just my $.02!

post-2570-1217050606_thumb.jpg

I have to agree I did the same thing with my pig from this year with muzzy 3 blades. post-1770-1217262263_thumb.jpg

The 2 blade are the way to go. I made massive holes in 2 deer last year with them and they still passed through with no trouble and no loss of blades. I have heard of some 3 blade trouble and a recall on earlier 3 bladers

hunter22,

The onlyproblems I have ever had with the t locks is they tend to fall off past 50 yards for me. Anythign past that and I have to drop down a pin. They are fine out to 50. Good luck.

The 2 blade are the way to go. I made massive holes in 2 deer last year with them and they still passed through with no trouble and no loss of blades. I have heard of some 3 blade trouble and a recall on earlier 3 bladers

Do you mean two blade expandables from Rage, Vortex or Sonoran Or do you mean fixed blade cut on impact Like Mangus, Zwicky or steel force. I have tried all three of the cut on impact two blades and I never could get a decent group with them past 40 yards.

Bob

VOrtex stink as far as I am concerned. My only lost game with a bow was with one of them. I arrowed a spike from 10 yards and it was a complete pass through, a little high, but the stupid blades never opened because the o ring didnt slide back. If they would have opened it should have caught the top of both lungs. As it was I trailed the thing for over 8 hours and never found it, went back and looked for ravens and never found any so hopefully it just sealed itself off. I swore them off forever that day. I have a few friends who love them though, but I will never shoot them again. ag

Fatfootdoc

Did you recover the arrow? If the blades were side to side then you would have not caught the top of the lungs!! This case sounds to me like another bow hunter blaming their equipment and not them selves for making a bad shot !!!!

All I have to say is that I have harvested over 100 big game animals with vortex heads and have witnessed approximately another 100 harvested with out failure.

I will go into this. the problem with rage heads is you have to much blade to push through bone if you infact hit bone. You see all the advertisement of the Rage out penitrating fixed heads and thats a bunch of crap. The only reason they penetrate so well in the gel in there adds, is because the large entrance reduces shaft pinch. We all know if you shoot a feild tip into a target it almost always out penetrates a broadhead well this is not the case when shot into gel, because of shaft pinch,. I watched clients shoot two coues bucks at less then 30 yards this year in the sholder blades , we lost both bucks because of poor penetration. Its simple if you are going to shoot a mechanical head you want one that if fully deployed after it gets past the hard stuff on the entrance . you also want one that cuts a 7/8" or 1" hole on the entrance and I mean cutts not punches like a bunch of the heads out there . by this I am saying ,make sure the blades are fully sharpened from tip to base, if they are not your asking for trouble with deflection and poor penetration and lost energy atached is a picture of a buff I shot on house rock 42 yards, 76#'s with a vortex mini-max 75 grn 2" cutting dia

post-412-1217310997.jpg

I have never had a problem with vortex opening, my friend gave a pig a buzz cut with a vortex. It opened just by hitting the pigs hair and there was a a 2 inch chunk of just hair missing. He got another shot and ended up harvesting the pig but i think there is a pic in one of the hunt books at archery headquarters

wards....

Sounds to me like your hunters made a bad shot by hitting the shoulder and you are blaming the head... hmmm.. isn't that ironic...

J

ps.. just in the interest of full disclosure... doesn't your dad make vortex????

J