Sobrbiker

Short notice late archery bull tag!

Since I was successful on my first archery harvest in the early otc archery this year, I’ve been obsessing on January for OTC mulies...

Everything changed this week when AZGFD called and asked if I’d like a surrendered 6A late archery bull tag-now I’ve got 6 weeks to get it together for a solo elk hunt!! I’d been putting in for “Hail Mary” tags the past four years since getting adult onset hunting addiction after getting out of shooting rifle comps, trying to build some points, so while elk is a big goal, it wasn’t on my radar for the next year or so.

I’ve got time at work to hunt the whole hunt, but limited opportunity/experience to get up there much prior. I’m pretty anxious as what the weather and pressure are going to do to the elk between now and then. At least there’ll only be 29 other tags hunting that week....
I’m planning on not getting to far from Jeep, because I’ll need multiple trips for recovery (I’m in decent shape, but not “elk shape”), and after the weather changes that rolled that time of year that past couple years I’d rather be safe than sorry.
I’m not looking for a trophy bull, just a good experience and hopefully a freezer full of meat and a first elk I can be proud of.

Any tips on elevation/movement, general areas or advice would be awesome. I’m not much of a blind sitter, and with what I’ve seen from the weather it’s going to be either really dry or could be really wet by then....just feeling a touch overwhelmed. I’m good on gear, glass, have an inReach just in case-just a little scattered on where to begin putting together a plan A, B and C.

• Like 2

Although you’re not a blind sitter, if it stays dry like it has been, sitting water will probably work VERY well this year. Especially with the limited number of tags in that hunt. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, wildwoody said:

6a sucks this year, you can tag a side by side for sure..

I’m sure the pleasure camper will have got home by the middle of November 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Although you’re not a blind sitter, if it stays dry like it has been, sitting water will probably work VERY well this year. Especially with the limited number of tags in that hunt. 

I’m flexible, I do carry pruning shears-I just hate packing a blind in and then being stuck in a spot with limited visibility.

9 hours ago, oz31p said:

I’m sure the pleasure camper will have got home by the middle of November 

Well there all going thru Payson today, its never gonna stop. Wheres pic of your bull.