I went out  couple weeks ago in search for some Quail. Driving in I had some fly across in front of me so I decided to pull off and give chase.  The next pull of just happened to be a cattle tank. 

This would be my first hunt with my new "old" 20 Guage Winchester model 50. 

After chasing a good size covey solo and without a bird dog, I came up empty. While walking back to the truck I heard one calling right next to the truck. I set up and watched. Three shots and the feathers settled I found FIVE on the ground.  I decided the only way I was going to get a few more was to ambush them as they came in to water.  

Here is where the "battle" comes in.  During my last sit I had about 20 birds milling around in a couple brush piles. As I readied the 20, targeting 3 in the open a Redtail Hawk swoops in to take one of my targets.  I was able to take two as soon as he cleared. He came back trying to get one flopping on the ground as I approached. Waving my arms and screaming In a full sprint he dropped the Quail in the Mesquite tree. 

I was able to take 11 by 2:30pm.

I wish I had this on video, it was cool to experience, I can only imagine what the video would look like.

20201017_140416.jpg

• Like 11

sitting a guzzler in 42 a few years ago waiting on a deer and pretty soon I had a covey running around me, under my chair, I figured a raptor was around.  Then he swooped down and took a tweety bird off the water and the quail scattered while he was busy.  I was just poof and a puff of feathers.

• Like 1

That's cool.  on hree different occasions jumping ducks I've had hawks or a falcon knock ducks out of the air after I jump shot the tank. One time I took the dang bird when it hit the ground.  Figured I spent more that day than he did.  The coolest was chasing mearns in sonoita area one year  Covey jumped up and a falcon came swooping through the oaks like a f15.  He came by my head and was in those birds asses faster than I could get a follow up shot.  Birds of prey are bad arses. 

My son did the tank thing for quail one year after he filled his coues tag.  Her was probably 12 I would guess.  I was still glassing for a buck over the next ridge and about every 20 mins I heard three quick shots.  He limited that morning.  The pattern of shots was funny.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Nice job man. Set up a treestand next time lol. Did you shoot the hawk?

heck no! That would be illegal!

2 hours ago, Elkhunter1 said:

heck no! That would be illegal!

It’s not illegal to hang tree stands yet

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2020 at 9:41 AM, oz31p said:

It’s not illegal to hang tree stands yet

To shoot the hawk!!!!

• Like 1