Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

Veteran’s Day Quail limit

Well first off, I changed the friction ring around because my Franchi was having issues cycling the cheap Walmart loads....and low and behold it was cycling all 3 rounds. Woohooo!!!

Got out this morning around 7:30 and the quail were thick as thieves. By 9:00 I had shot my limit but had only bagged 7. I would watch them drop and walk up to the spot, see feathers but like Houdini they just vanished. 

Kept at it and dropped another 8 by 11:00. I was chasing 6-7 different coveys of 30+ birds. 

Can’t wait to go back this weekend.

10AB2258-90F2-4794-BC8D-0A615C6D41D0.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Confused 1
  • Wow! 1

Nice work! At the few spots I've been to for the second time this season....birds seem to be flushing much further out now. 40+ yards. It could be just a fluke, but numbers are still great, as seen in your pic. Good stuff.

That’s awesome!   I took advantage of the holiday and did the same thing.   Limits being the norm makes this year a BUNCH of fun!!!   Good stuff!

S.

16 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Well first off, I changed the friction ring around because my Franchi was having issues cycling the cheap Walmart loads....and low and behold it was cycling all 3 rounds. Woohooo!!!

Got out this morning around 7:30 and the quail were thick as thieves. By 9:00 I had shot my limit but had only bagged 7. I would watch them drop and walk up to the spot, see feathers but like Houdini they just vanished. 

Kept at it and dropped another 8 by 11:00. I was chasing 6-7 different coveys of 30+ birds. 

Can’t wait to go back this weekend.

10AB2258-90F2-4794-BC8D-0A615C6D41D0.jpeg

Congrats on your limit! How many total birds did you hit and not retrieve? Were they long shots? 

34 minutes ago, BusterAZ said:

Congrats on your limit! How many total birds did you hit and not retrieve? Were they long shots? 

9 total. I watched them crumple up and nose dive down. I found feathers on all of them as they either crashed through the Palo Verde trees or the prickley pears. Numerous figure 8's and side to sides moving the grass out of the way to locate.

As for long shots, most of my shots were 15-20 yds away free of any brush, clear line of site. I've shot dove a lot further and they had no problem ending up in my bird vest.

• Like 1