bigorange

Good ole days on ammo prices

4 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

A1 on Grand and Jims on Apache trail traded and co-operated a lot. 

So now please remember the guy's name that owned A1 because it's driving me nuts! 🤬

On 11/13/2020 at 1:50 PM, Outdoor Writer said:

The Yates store on 40th St. just south of Thomas was another one we "comparison shopped." L.V Yates was an avid outdoor type and really enjoyed hiking. I think there's at least one trail in the Phx. Mt. Preserve named after him. He often gave outdoor writers special deals on equipment. 

LV Yates went to church with us back when I was young.  He hiked the Superstitions non stop it seemed.  A really good man.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

I think the Boat shop is farther east, just before 51st ave. 

The bait shop on Grand was where I bought waterdogs when I ventured to Colo. after pike.  I can't recall the name, tho I can picture the guy that owned it quite well in mind -- older man with grey, balding hair.  And if my memory serves me right, I seem to recall the meat locker where I often took deer/elk for processing was right near the bait shop on a side street off Grand, 

The boat shop was Sports Center the archery shop was Archers Corner, George Ziegler owned it I knew him very well he was my biology teacher at Alhambra High back in the mid to late 60s he now lives in Utah. The bait shop was AAA Bait and Tackle the guys names were Charlie and either Vern or George. The boat shop is now at 115th and Glendale. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 360 0r Better said:

The boat shop was Sports Center the archery shop was Archers Corner, George Ziegler owned it I knew him very well he was my biology teacher at Alhambra High back in the mid to late 60s he now lives in Utah. The bait shop was AAA Bait and Tackle the guys names were Charlie and either Vern or George. The boat shop is now at 115th and Glendale. 

Thanks for the memory jog! Dead on with all of them. AAA rather than A1, although I can't recall the name of the older, balding guy that I have in my mind. None seem to jog me, but I'm wanting to say it was Vern, just not positive.

15 hours ago, elkaholic said:

Glendales McCagnos Meats.

Everyone on the west sides go to processor.

Only problem , they band sawed the whole frozen animals. There would be 100 plus in their freezer, normally.

Thinking while lying in bed: I seem to recall a name more like "Glendale Meat Locker" or such??

There were some guys on azbasszone years ago who knew the guys well, but couldnt find any posts, but found this on the web.

Found this on aaa

Company Name:   AAA BAIT-TACKLE-BOATS-MOTORS, INC.

File Number:   01348436

Filing State:   Arizona (AZ)

Filing Status:   Good Standing

Filing Date:   December 12, 1980

Company Age:   39 Years, 11 Months

Principal Address:  
Map Icon spacer Irwin H Wilson
6708 N Grand Ave

Glendale, AZ 85301

2 minutes ago, Delw said:

There were some guys on azbasszone years ago who knew the guys well, but couldnt find any posts, but found this on the web.

Found this on aaa

Company Name:   AAA BAIT-TACKLE-BOATS-MOTORS, INC.

File Number:   01348436

Filing State:   Arizona (AZ)

Filing Status:   Good Standing

Filing Date:   December 12, 1980

Company Age:   39 Years, 11 Months

Principal Address:  
Map Icon spacer Irwin H Wilson
6708 N Grand Ave

Glendale, AZ 85301

That's it!!!!! IRV was his name!!!!  

While on the subject, does anyone remember Camelback Guns near 7th Ave.? It was one of the finer shops in town, but Tom Barrett didn't give anything away.  He was one of my better customers when I was working for American Wholesale. Sold him lots of Ruger and S&W handguns because we always had large allotments compared to the two local distributors -- Mallco and AZ Hardware. Tom would put outlandish prices on the S&W M629s I supplied. 

There was another large gun store a bit farther east, same south side of W. Camelback. It opened after I quit selling, but I bought a lot of clay birds there in 1990s. 

2 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

While on the subject, does anyone remember Camelback Guns near 7th Ave.? It was one of the finer shops in town, but Tom Barrett didn't give anything away.  He was one of my better customers when I was working for American Wholesale. Sold him lots of Ruger and S&W handguns because we always had large allotments compared to the two local distributors -- Mallco and AZ Hardware. Tom would put outlandish prices on the S&W M629s I supplied. 

There was another large gun store a bit farther east, same south side of W. Camelback. It opened after I quit selling, but I bought a lot of clay birds there in 1990s. 

Yes I remember that gun shop didn’t buy anything there due to his prices were way too high.

8 minutes ago, 360 0r Better said:

Yes I remember that gun shop didn’t buy anything there due to his prices were way too high.

You don't recall the name of theother, huh? 

2 hours ago, Outdoor Writer said:

That would have been right next door to Phoenix fishing Camelback and 24th street?. behind them was phoenix Wholesale, they shut down the gun shop and went wholesale only. I bought almost all my dealer guns/ ammo order some very high end shotguns and rifles from them as well for customers from phoenix wholesale. in the late 80's very early 90's until about 2001-2002. If I recall phoenix fishings son started the gun store then the Family started the wholesale place.

Those people were also very cool

1 minute ago, Delw said:

That would have been right next door to Phoenix fishing Camelback and 24th street?. behind them was phoenix Wholesale, they shut down the gun shop and went wholesale only. I bought almost all my dealer guns/ ammo order some very high end shotguns and rifles from them as well for customers from phoenix wholesale. in the late 80's very early 90's until about 2001-2002. If I recall phoenix fishings son started the gun store then the Family started the wholesale place.

Those people were also very cool

No, west side between Central & 7th Ave.  

25 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

No, west side between Central & 7th Ave.  

Oh yeah I vaguley remember that. but it was in the 80s could have been in the 90's. If I recall I remember seeing going to the old Loopers performance store that was down town dont exactly remember were either one of them was(long time ago) wasnt there a waterbed/furniture store in that vicinity as well I think on the corner?.. Crap now I'm remembering some store, he had lever guns in there and some old ones.

when we 1st moved here we spent lots of time around that area (mainly loopers) that old down town mall nickle pickle deli? and christown had alot of friends that lived in that area andWife loved shopping at the older stores.

Phx Shooters Supply was a couple of doors down from Phx Fishing Supply on 16th St. Wasn't that a AZ Sportsman on Camelback and 7th either St or Ave?

On 11/16/2020 at 2:20 PM, Delw said:

Oh yeah I vaguley remember that. but it was in the 80s could have been in the 90's. If I recall I remember seeing going to the old Loopers performance store that was down town dont exactly remember were either one of them was(long time ago) wasnt there a waterbed/furniture store in that vicinity as well I think on the corner?.. Crap now I'm remembering some store, he had lever guns in there and some old ones.

when we 1st moved here we spent lots of time around that area (mainly loopers) that old down town mall nickle pickle deli? and christown had alot of friends that lived in that area andWife loved shopping at the older stores.

Yup, waterbed joint on NE corner of either 7th or 19th ave. & camelback. We bought ours there in the early 1970s. But I'm thinking Camelback Guns was actually between 7th and 19th because Tom and I often went to lunch at Neptune's Table, which was on the north side of CB at about 7th ave. to the right of CBGs. I also remember a fairly large, multi-floor hotel across from Cameback Guns. Dave, who worked there, always had a spotting scope set up to peer into the rather large windows. But I never looked through it.  🙄 

Neptune's Table

neptune.jpg.be247e530fbb153a31024852a462b022.jpg

On 11/16/2020 at 2:41 PM, 10Turkeys said:

Phx Shooters Supply was a couple of doors down from Phx Fishing Supply on 16th St. Wasn't that a AZ Sportsman on Camelback and 7th either St or Ave?

DING, DING on AZ Sportsman!  clap_1_.gif.0f8d4225954631f269f9bd6f00bb9285.gif  On west side. -- 7th ave