Checked a cam today and a week ago. Both times there was a covey very close to the water that almost gave me heart attacks.   There is a more open and less hidden wster source about 150 yarda away down hill.  Look for water. 

• Like 2

I have never hunted mearns, only gambels, do they taste different? Also are they any different to hunt then gambels? I dont have dogs and havent ever hunted with dogs. Id like to give mearns hunting a try while I scout the southern units for deer

26 minutes ago, bowhunter-tw said:

I have never hunted mearns, only gambels, do they taste different? Also are they any different to hunt then gambels? I dont have dogs and havent ever hunted with dogs. Id like to give mearns hunting a try while I scout the southern units for deer

Mearns can be tough hunting without a pup. Unlike gambels which tend to scurry away, Mearns like to hunker down much like bobwhites do and will only bust out if you get real close. There have many times when I came unglued while Coues hunting after nearly stepping on a covey of Mearns before they beat it.  

I tried to hunt them twice without dogs to no avail. I think I recall killing one bird. Then I went on a hunt with Floyd Preas and his Britany. Big diff. Later, I had my own pup -- a German shorthair, and she was great on both Mearns & gambels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Here's some stuff from Quail Hunting In America, written in 1987 by my friend Tom Huggler. The photo is one I took of Tom for the book. The cover photo is also one I shot. I have the 1st edition book listed FS in the Classified. 

tom.jpg.773946c1482bc4d036d498da0f60ef94.jpg

Qbook.thumb.jpg.d4495b0f0bdbc426d5a058912a5f4204.jpg

Qbook2.thumb.jpg.22e535e72f39d3abe4f7de6bfeff7dfc.jpg

• Like 1

Thats some pretty cool stuff. I will have to venture down south and give it a try. I wont have dogs any time soon so I will have to give it a try without. Do they call to each other like gambels?

4 minutes ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Thats some pretty cool stuff. I will have to venture down south and give it a try. I wont have dogs any time soon so I will have to give it a try without. Do they call to each other like gambels?

Tom had a great way with words, probably vecause he wasonce an Engish professor. That's whi he baned his two English Setters, chaucer and Macbeth. 

As for calling, I never heard Mearns make any sounds except when flushing. So don't count on finding them that way. 

11 minutes ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Are there any areas near thombstone that I could find them? I havent ever been there and was thinking maybe I could check it out and do some hunting while I was down there

You can usually find them on any of the grassy, oak covered hills in the southern part of the state. One time I was after Coues in the Chiricahuas with 3" of snow on the ground. I kicked up a covey that was literally buried in the grass under the snow. When they took off, snow was flying everywhere, and I was cleaning out my drawers. 🤣

Sign to look for is scratchings where they use their long claws to dig tubers and such. 

17 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

You can usually find them on any of the grassy, oak covered hills in the southern part of the state.

I guess I dont know what the terrain that far south is like, are grassy oak hills common or only in select areas? I dont know what type of terrain Thombstone is in, I have always been western fan and have always wanted to go there. I guess best way to find out is go down there and bring a gun, worst case I imagine I could find some gambels.. would be worth a gambel 🤣

49 minutes ago, bowhunter-tw said:

I guess I dont know what the terrain that far south is like, are grassy oak hills common or only in select areas? I dont know what type of terrain Thombstone is in, I have always been western fan and have always wanted to go there. I guess best way to find out is go down there and bring a gun, worst case I imagine I could find some gambels.. would be worth a gambel 🤣

There are decent areas all around TS. Get a topo map and look for hilly terrain. The foothills around the Dragoons to the north and Mule Mts. to the south have Mearns, and there are areas east and west of town that might be good. Just be aware of private property where applicable. I can't give you any more accurate help because I've never hunted that area. 

Here's what AGFD says for Unit 30B....

Quail

Overview: The quail populations (Gambel and Scaled) in the unit will respond to winter rainfall. Overall, we are below average, however rain occurred throughout the winter/spring and created green-up and the quail may respond. The quail populations suffer from drought and respond favorably to average to above average rainfall. Review past weather conditions in area you are considering for a hunt. See Access Information for details.

Pre-season scouting will improve your hunt success. Be sure and have all the pertinent hunt regulations with you before you go hunting. Please pick up spent shot-shells, complaints have been received because livestock have ingested them causing complications and it is littering, a revocable offense.

Area: Gambel’s quail can be found in isolated areas in the unit. An area where greater concentrations exist is along the San Pedro River (Call 520-439-6400 or see http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/blm_special_areas/ncarea/sprnca.html )

Some areas of the river are closed to firearms hunting. The San Pedro River can be accessed near Benson, St. David, HWY 82, Charleston Road, and HWY 92. Other areas of quail concentrations can be found in upper elevations along the mountain drainage’s, and stock tanks.

Scaled quail can be found throughout the unit in high desert grassland communities. Larger concentrations of scaled quail tend to be found along the base of the eastern side of the Dragoon Mountains, and in the Cochise, Dragoon, and Sunsites/Pearce area, and along the Mexican Border. The eastern side of the Dragoon Mountains, Cochise, and Sunsites can be accessed from Highway 191 south of I-10. Recently, residential development in the Pearce/Sunsite area has increased, thus eliminating areas to hunt. During good years large populations can be found along the Davis Road, Gleason Road, and the Pearce Road. A popular area for quail hunting is now closed to all access; the Double U Ranch or Telles Ranch has been locked and no longer allows sportsmen’s access.

Mearns’ quail are harder to find because of the nature of the quail and because they are found in much smaller concentrations in this unit. They have been found in small pockets in the southwest portion of the Dragoon Mountains, off the Middle-March Road, and in the upper elevations of the Mule Mountains. Denied access in the Mule Mountains makes it extremely difficult to access these areas.

The west side of the Dragoon Mountains can be reached by taking Highway 80 south of I-10 at Benson. Continuing down Highway 80 to Middle March Road, which is only a couple of miles north of Tombstone. Turn east on the Middle-March road and drive approximately 10 miles until you reach the Forest Service Boundary. Take Forest Service Road 687 north along the west side of the mountain into the West Stronghold. The east side of the mountain is accessed off the Dragoon Road, Ironwood Road, and Middle-March Road.

The Mule Mountains can be accessed off High Lonesome Road and Highway 80. Several canyon roads in the Mules go through private land and are posted and locked, so respect the ranchers’ wishes. Hiking across state land will access the upper parts of the canyons.

Pre-season scouting will improve your hunt success. Be sure and have all the pertinent hunt regulations with you before you go hunting. Please pick up spent shot-shells, complaints have been received because livestock have ingested them causing complications and it is littering, a revocable offense.

• Like 1