Sign in to follow this  
Speedy

Do some javi stink more than others?

I joined the club a few weeks ago when I finally was able to connect with a javi (story is on the AZ forum).  I located them by smell which was quite strong.  I killed a nice sow but she had hardly any odor at all, so was it the boar that stunk?  The next day when I went to get the skull there was still a strong lingering odor in the area. 

I did the gutless method with several pairs of gloves, not my best work but the meat (what little of it!) seems fine. I pan fried a piece of backstrap as I never had javi before and it was delicious.  No unusual odor cooking either.  I'm kinda wondering what the fuss is all about.  Or did I just get a good one?  

20210112_185535.thumb.jpg.0bfd81596032762f2030dd73d7951365.jpg

• Like 4

I can't speak to scientific fact, but my crew has probably shot about a dozen javelin over the past few years. I would estimate they were probably 50/50 boars to sows. Every boar we have shot had a much stronger odor than any of the sows. The meat also tends to be a bit stronger with boars. But if you clean them carefully and not touch hide than meat (I always go through multiple pairs of gloves as well), it really is excellent high quality meat.

With the lingering smell the next day, it is highly likely that the herd (or at least part of the herd) returned to the spot. I have a video of several javelina returning to a dead pig my hunting buddy's son shot, and lay down and bed next to it. My son then shot one. I'll see if I can find the video. 

• Like 1

In this second video, I am trying to get them up for a shot. Initially I was tried throwing some rocks, not to hit them, (they were about 200 yards away if memory serves correctly), but to make noise. That didn't work very well.

• Like 4

I've certainly noticed the boars are much more pungent than the sows from a smell standpoint. As for taste, haven't noticed any difference although I am careful to use multiple sets of gloves and even switch out blades between skinning and cutting off meat. Javelina are one of the animals I look most forward to putting in my freezer every year. 🍖

• Like 1

My 2 cents - quick kill less odor.  Wounded and they spray just like when startled which leads to more musk on the hide and more challenge keeping it off of you and the meat.  And probably boars stink worse although maybe not young ones?  I have had younger boars that smelled good ( for a javi)