Jump to content
UggRedBilly

Elk archery setup

Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, UggRedBilly said:

That makes a ton of sense. I am not sure what exactly shoots best for my bow yet. I will go out this next week and buy some more sets of arrows heads and inserts. What should I look for when I want "better results"

I know grouping is an obvious one. But should I be looking for how deep they enter the target? Speed? What would be a good thing to really focus on when narrowing down what works for me

Paper tuning is invaluable info.  Is there a good pro shop near you?  (Not Sportsmans warehouse).  I used to be an archery tech at one and if someone came in that was new to it, we would try to help as much as we could.  Try to buy what you need from them as well, that’s how they make a living, but most guys that work in those shops truly love archery and will help you out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Paper tuning is invaluable info.  Is there a good pro shop near you?  (Not Sportsmans warehouse).  I used to be an archery tech at one and if someone came in that was new to it, we would try to help as much as we could.  Try to buy what you need from them as well, that’s how they make a living, but most guys that work in those shops truly love archery and will help you out.  

There is a shop called bear moutain nearby my place! I will head there and check them out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

check out Timber Mesa Outdoors on e. baseline. they were really helpful when I had an old set of strings jump off my bow during fall otc deer season.

went back over xmas to have them tune for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know nothing about arrows,  weights , spines ,etc. 

All I know it hits where I aim out to 50 yrds. 

I'm good!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2021 at 8:54 PM, trphyhntr said:

You just shoot them in a good spot. Don’t worry about anything else 

This.  Having read about a million ‘I can’t find my elk’ stories on this site and others, it’s quite obvious that there’s plenty of ways to screw up what should be an easy shot on an animal with a huge kill zone.  I’ve personally completely missed one at about 20 yards.  I’m know stranger buck fever when it’s trigger time, but nothing I’ve experienced has ever been close to the rush you get when a bull comes in screaming and walks right up to you.  
 

there’s lots of men with 70# bows shooting razor tipped telephone poles that lose elk ever year.  And there’s lots of ladies with little 40# bows and short draw lengths that manage to put one in the boiler room and take home some meat.  Work on staying calm and making a good shot and you’ll be fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2021 at 6:08 PM, mattys281 said:

 

On 2/17/2021 at 8:54 PM, trphyhntr said:

You just shoot them in a good spot. Don’t worry about anything else 

 

Just to reiterate this. Be comfortable and confident with your arrow setup. You absolutely do not have to shoot 60 plus yards or stretch skill or the equipment. Honestly if it were me with your setup, I would probably try and setup an arrow like an Easton axis. As far as you spine goes it all depends on your arrow length.if you are shooting a 25” or around there arrow I would put a 50 grain insert in the front of a 340 spine. I would then go ahead and throw as sharp a broadhead on the front. The above mention magnus stingers are great and that’s what my wife shoots from a similar setup. Limit shot distance to under 40 yards or so and I would have no problem shooting bigger animals with your setup. Your confidence will be key.

I’ll say it one more time, place that arrow where it needs to be and you will not regret it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DBArcher said:

Just to reiterate this. Be comfortable and confident with your arrow setup. You absolutely do not have to shoot 60 plus yards or stretch skill or the equipment. Honestly if it were me with your setup, I would probably try and setup an arrow like an Easton axis. As far as you spine goes it all depends on your arrow length.if you are shooting a 25” or around there arrow I would put a 50 grain insert in the front of a 340 spine. I would then go ahead and throw as sharp a broadhead on the front. The above mention magnus stingers are great and that’s what my wife shoots from a similar setup. Limit shot distance to under 40 yards or so and I would have no problem shooting bigger animals with your setup. Your confidence will be key.

I’ll say it one more time, place that arrow where it needs to be and you will not regret it.

Sounds great! I'll have to go pick some inserts up then! I'll definitely get those broadhead too! People were telling me to get them before my elk hunt and they were outta stock everytime I checked for the last few weeks before hunting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has me rethinking my set-up. 31in draw 80lbs 680gr blackeagle 200 spine 4mm. Ethics 175 up front aae max pro, cutthroat 150 single bevel. 294fps. Doesn't matter where I put it it's going thru.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×