Sign in to follow this  
Coues Archer

binocular lens cleaner?

I'am having trouble trying to clean my alpen apex binoculars but do not know what type of lens cleaner to buy for them are there any you guys prefer. Please help.

I don't really use a cleaner of any kind. Just a lens pen and a little moist air from my breath. If you got something really oily on the lens, perhaps any kind of eyeglass cleaner or small amount of dish soap would work. Just make sure you are wiping it with a cloth that won't scratch the lens.

Amanda

I got a lense cleaning kit from Zeiss when I sent my scope in for turrets... So far I have really liked it. but before I got the kit, I did exactly like Amanda.

Are you using the cleaning pad or just the Brush?

The pad scares the crap out of me if i missed

something with the brush.

GH,

I assume you are asking about using the lens pen.....

I have used the cleaning pad for years with no problem. I blow on the lens to remove what I can and then brush them several times and blow again. It worries me also, but I haven't had any issue and I have my binos out in the dust all the time.

Amanda

peroxide and q-tips! works great on mine.

-Jeremy-

J.

Peroxide seams pretty strong :unsure:

All I want to do is remove dust and maybe a smudge

Maybe this has some thing to do with the (Got to dip thread)

In the field, the hair brush followed by a B&L Sight Saver (lens tissue packed in cleaning fluid/alcohol) is used. At home or camp, the brush and then lens tissue soaked in Kodak lens cleaner solution and enough solutiion to float any dirt away. is used. Hope you don't see me using the Lenspen pad or shirt tails due to imbedded abrasive dirt dust. I am leary of the microfiber cloths used dry, especially if they do not get cleaned often. I have read where the cotton fibers of t-shirts and Q-tips are actually coarse and not good on lens coatings.

Doug~RR

I carry the same stuff used to clean my camera lenses, a small eyedrop sized bottle of lense cleaner and a few swatches stashed away in the day pack works for the bino's and riflescope.

I use Lens/screen wipes that come in small packets and are premoistened similar to what Doug is talking about. They are silicone free, anit-static, and anti-fog wipes. I get mine from the company that supplies our safety stuff for work...I think it's called Cintas. I normally get a box of 500 at a time since I use them on everything from my computer screen to my eye glasses.

Phil

In the field, the hair brush followed by a B&L Sight Saver (lens tissue packed in cleaning fluid/alcohol) is used. At home or camp, the brush and then lens tissue soaked in Kodak lens cleaner solution and enough solutiion to float any dirt away. is used. Hope you don't see me using the Lenspen pad or shirt tails due to imbedded abrasive dirt dust. I am leary of the microfiber cloths used dry, especially if they do not get cleaned often. I have read where the cotton fibers of t-shirts and Q-tips are actually coarse and not good on lens coatings.

Doug~RR

Maybe I shouldn't use the q-tips. Has hurt mine though, I noticed that the peroxide help with any oils on the lenses.

-Jeremy-

Seems like one could make a plentiful supply of cleaning fluid by taking a pint of 90% rubbibg alcohol and adding a couple of drops of original Dawn dish soap and use with lens tissue. Then enough fluid could be put on the lens to help float any dirt particles away after brushing (thinking that the pre-moistened wipes need more moisture).

RR