Sign in to follow this  
ehunt

Spring Gobbler

My dad and i just got back from an awesome trip to the San Carlos!! We got to our camping spot Sunday afternoon around 4 and after setting up camp we soon had turkey gobbling on the roost all around us...There is no better feeling! The next morning we set up on them only to have the toms go right to the hens as soon as they hit the ground. I was able to call to the hens and the flock came within 75 yards but they would not cross a fence line to come closer. They headed the other direction so we hurried to get around them. When i figured we were close i let out a soft yelp and they gobbled 30 yds from us! In no time we could see their heads and fans above a log but they never gave a good shot. Again they went on their way so we made a bigger loop around them and set up. This time they came right by us at 60 yards and with 3 big toms in the flock they were just out of range for a shot! Another bird answered back around 11 but i made the mistake of calling too close to the truck and we were busted...lesson learned!

Day 2 we changed locations and had at least a dozen toms gobbling around us..it was incredible!! Once again the ones we were set up on went straight to the hens as soon as they started yelping..talk about frustrating!! We followed them for about an hour but soon backed out to find a different bird. We moved about a half mile and in no time had one calling and moving fast. He came in fanned out and i finally got a shot at 20 yards..he was a great looking bird!! We snapped a few pics and headed down the road to find another for my dad. Around 9 we had a couple toms answer and were able to call one from the hens to 20 yards but with a bad set up on our part i was inline of my dads shot..another lesson learned..we needed to take a little more time and make a good set up, but sometimes they sneek up on you quick!

Day 3 was a rough day for the old man! Right away we had two gobbling hard at the my calls and on their way. We set up at the edge of the tree line with the decoy 15 yards to my dads left, and i set up behind him and to his right. It worked perfect and they came right to the decoy. At the shot the bird jumped and started to run and after a follow up shot both birds ran off unharmed!! We both were in shock as my dad has never missed one! Stunned we headed out in hopes of getting another chance. Within 20 mins we had another located. We headed after him and after following him for about a mile we soon caught up. He was in a clear cut strutting around and at my calls he was on his way. He came to our right to ten yards, and strutted back and forth for what seemed like 5 mins!! The only problem was my dads shot was blocked my thick bushes. He finally moved farther right and my dad set up for the shot. Boom..the tom gobbled and ran ten yards unsure of what happened...two more shots and he soon was running off unharmed!! With gloves flying and a few choice words from my dad we decided we were done. We still are not sure what happened. On both toms not even a feather flew off, so we know they were not hit! I think it was just my dads time to have one of those days when nothing goes right!! Even with such a rough 3rd morning we had an incredible hunt!! The San Carlos does an awesome job managing their wildlife and limiting the number of hunters. In four days we never saw another hunter!! In my opinion there is not a better place to hunt spring turkeys! Good luck to all the junior hunters this weekend! We are headed up north for the second public land hunt in a few weeks, im already ready to get back after them!

post-1961-1271395056_thumb.jpg

post-1961-1271395082_thumb.jpg

post-1961-1271395097.jpg

post-1961-1271395113_thumb.jpg

Awesome write-up and +1 on San Carlos doing a great job keeping hunter numbers down and game quality up. That's what I love about hunting out there, great game, low hunter density and gorgeous country. It's a real treat to hunt out there!

Amanda

Thanks everyone for the comments! Amanda you are right, it is a treat to hunt up there! I look forward to it every year! I think the tags are $225 but i could be wrong.

Were you hunting in the 1st or 2nd season? I keep wanting to get my lady hunting friends to go, but I want 2nd season tags and those are sold out so fast I can't get any!

Amanda

Were you hunting in the 1st or 2nd season? I keep wanting to get my lady hunting friends to go, but I want 2nd season tags and those are sold out so fast I can't get any!

Amanda

We always hunt the second season and it is usually timed perfect! They are accepting applications right now for tags for next year so you might still have time ;)

Amanda

We always hunt the second season and it is usually timed perfect! They are accepting applications right now for tags for next year so you might still have time ;)

I thought they were already sold out for the 2nd spring season next year. Guess I better call! thx. Hey, don't tell anyone though, ok, otherwise they might sell out before I get back from my NM hunt! ;)

Amanda

I thought they were already sold out for the 2nd spring season next year. Guess I better call! thx. Hey, don't tell anyone though, ok, otherwise they might sell out before I get back from my NM hunt! ;)

I won't say anything i swear!! :blink: ;) i will send you a pm on what we were told the other day when we were in.

Awesome write-up and +1 on San Carlos doing a great job keeping hunter numbers down and game quality up. That's what I love about hunting out there, great game, low hunter density and gorgeous country. It's a real treat to hunt out there!

Amanda

Well great job on low hunters and game until next year (2011). They got got greedy I guess...... Took lessons for the AZGFD apparantly....

Up until this year there were 150 tags for units A,B, and C, total combined, now this next year (2011) they have 150 tags for unit A, 150 tags for unit B, and 150 tags for and unit C (totaling) 450 tags. They just up and decided to TRIPLE THE TAGS BECAUSE THEY COULD. We have hunted up there for the last 4 years but because of this we won't any longer.

$245.00 is an aweful lot to pay for a Turkey, especially when they triple the amount of tags that we have been used to. My buddy and I both took 10 3/4" bearded Turkey out of there this year, but this is the last year because of their greed. I hate to be a pessimist, good luck to all that apply next year.

Congratulations on your turkey and sharing your hunting story with us. When it comes to turkey hunting there is always going to be some bad luck times but overall it seems to always turn out to be a great hunt no mattwer who scores. I'm glad you have the opportunity to hunt with your Dad. Nice bird! :)

TJ

Amanda

Well great job on low hunters and game until next year (2011). They got got greedy I guess...... Took lessons for the AZGFD apparantly....

Up until this year there were 150 tags for units A,B, and C, total combined, now this next year (2011) they have 150 tags for unit A, 150 tags for unit B, and 150 tags for and unit C (totaling) 450 tags. They just up and decided to TRIPLE THE TAGS BECAUSE THEY COULD. We have hunted up there for the last 4 years but because of this we won't any longer.

$245.00 is an aweful lot to pay for a Turkey, especially when they triple the amount of tags that we have been used to. My buddy and I both took 10 3/4" bearded Turkey out of there this year, but this is the last year because of their greed. I hate to be a pessimist, good luck to all that apply next year.

That was actually just a typo. They did not intend to do 150 tags per unit. I spoke with the director of the dept about it. It will be a total of 150 again just as in the past years. The typo came about because this year they intended to make the tags valid for a particular unit rather than have the tag good for all three units. It's been fixed on their website now too. So next year you will have to pick a particular unit for your hunt. This way the hunting pressure is spread out evenly across the three units.

Amanda

Just saw this. Nice post & great pics!!!!! :)

S.

:)

PS: I just bought the Ultimate Alaknak 12x12 and used it for the first time on my kid's junior hunt a couple of weeks ago. LOVE IT!!!! ;)

Just saw this. Nice post & great pics!!!!! :)

S.

:)

PS: I just bought the Ultimate Alaknak 12x12 and used it for the first time on my kid's junior hunt a couple of weeks ago. LOVE IT!!!! ;)

Thanks again! This was our first hunt with the Alaknak and we love it!!