JakeL

How do you hunt the Kaibab?

Mr. Quimby shut down. Nice Response bohuntr. That response IMO hits the nail on the head. Too many tags and not enough mature bucks. I had the late 12aw tag 2 years ago. I had a great hunt, but I was only able to locate 4 bucks I thought would go over 180." I hunted everyday of the hunt except the last day. I tagged out on a mature buck the day before last. During this hunt, I saw countless bucks that were 4x4, however most were in the 140"-170" range. Not to mention all of the bucks I saw hanging in camps. Most were not mature ( except Dwayne adams camp). What really erks me about Kaibab is the fact that there is no competition for does. Every buck has does, no matter how big they are. If they get run off by a mature buck, they go over the hill and there will be another group of does he can take. Seems like there management is leaning towards #'s and not quality.

BOHNTR,

What cat paws do you use? I used to use the Baer's Feet, but they have been discontinued.

Thanks!

Coues Sniper:

I use the Carlton Cat Paws. I prefer them over Bears Feet type stalkers, as they are lighter and much cooler on your feet in the early archery seasons.

Here's a link to order them on-line:

Cat Paws

JakeL:

I know I spoke of Lupine and "buck brush" as food sources for deer on the plateau. Here's a few photos of what both look like. The first photo where the small buck is standing, you'll notice an ankle high, thin leaf shrub with purple flowers. That will be lupine.

post-2391-0-51350900-1335360824_thumb.jpg

The second photo(s) will be buck brush which grows sporadically on the plateau. It grows to a mid-calf height and generally has a darker green leaf than other like plants. Hope it helps.

post-2391-0-65652900-1335361055_thumb.jpg

post-2391-0-04805100-1335361104_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for those excellent pics BOHUNTR. That macro of the buckbrush is especially good. Have you guys noticed any pattern to finding areas these plants tend to grow thicker? As in, partially shaded north slopes, or more open clearings, steep canyon bottoms, etc. Or is it more just random?

I'm learning more in this one thread than in years of hunting and reading hunting material. Keep it coming.

Look for recently burnt areas, but not totally scorched and you should find lupine and lots of deer. Not talking the aspen jungles of regrowth, but areas that burnt through the underbrush.

Take serious note of Roy's advice. His advice has helped me a ton over the last couple years.

Thanks again Roy!

Nick

Have you guys noticed any pattern to finding areas these plants tend to grow thicker? As in, partially shaded north slopes, or more open clearings, steep canyon bottoms, etc. Or is it more just random?

I agree with Heat's response on lupine growth. Areas that have received a controlled burn (or not a "hot" natural fire) seem to produce lupine patches the very next Spring/Summer. It will also continue to grow on top of the ridges where logging occurred quite some time ago, providing it is not over grown. It rarely grows in the bottoms of canyons or in the thicker spruce forests,as not enough sunlight is there for germination.

This photograph demonstrates an example of what I look for (besides the deer). In this photo (a bit blurry, sorry) notice that you see lupine (purple flowers) growing to the left and right of these two bucks (one bedded). There is also sporadic buck brush on this ridge (look at bottom edge of photo left/center). This exact spot holds bucks year end and year out,as I've arrowed several within 100 yards of this spot. Notice it has not burned in quite a while and was last logged and cleared a very long time ago, yet it is still not over grown with aspen or pine. It's just one of those ridges that continually grows deer browse, with no road on it, and it offers cover for bedding as well. When you combine those factors with a nearby and dependable water source, you'll generally find bucks consistently.

post-2391-0-48522300-1335443646_thumb.jpg

In addition to finding water, feed spots, etc ... you might try the Pray, and make sure you hit Church a few times before you go method ... can't hurt, right???

• Like 1

BOHNTR,

What cat paws do you use? I used to use the Baer's Feet, but they have been discontinued.

Thanks!

Coues Sniper:

I use the Carlton Cat Paws. I prefer them over Bears Feet type stalkers, as they are lighter and much cooler on your feet in the early archery seasons.

Here's a link to order them on-line:

Cat Paws

BOHNTR,

Sorry, I just saw your response. Much appreciated. Although I used the Baers Feet, I knew there had to be a better option. Thanks for the help!

Very good info! I have only hunted there for turkey's and I have only seen the monster bucks at the dark hours of the day. I was over at my wife's grandpas house a few months back and noticed a nice 180 non typical rack in his barn. He let me have it and it came from the kiabads. The stories and pics he showed me were almost unbelievable killing 160-220 every year for 30 years plus.

Cut the early hunt tags in half. Most the deer killed on that hunt are young deer. 140-150 4 points that would have grown into the bucks that place is famous for

Great Post, Pics & Help

Any idea how late into the fall the Lupine remains as a food source?? Does a freeze change things?? Then what do they switch too, acorns??

I have a Early W. hunt & the weather could be anything???

DH