Sign in to follow this  
DBArcher

where to start research

My hunting partner called me last night and informed me that he finally got hit for a sheep tag with only 9 bonus points. While we were talking we began to realize that we don't know the first thing about sheep. Are there any books out there or websites I should be looking at or maybe any seminars to attend. Looks like it's gonna be a fun year.

We talked about that, he's a died in the wool diy hunter, he's my coues deer partner so we are used to the desert just not sheep.

Guest 300ultramag.

9 points? finally? lmao

congrats on the tag! good luck shoot straight.

I would hire a guide and go archery....and pack a rifle as well!

I was in the same boat last year when I drew with 8pts. I had hunted the desert my whole life but not sheep. I scouted every weekend from the time I drew to the hunt. Learn the unit and learn what sheep are in the unit. Find the ram you want to kill and stay with him...remember you only get the tag once. Another thing I would suggest is attend the sheep clinic as someone there has probably hunted your unit before or has info. Another thing to remember is take as many pictures as you can. Alot of hype comes with this hunt so just remember to have fun and not get stressed out. If your going to hire a guide I would highly recommend ADO..ARIZONA DESERT OUTFITTERS. What units did he apply for?

• Like 1

Congratulations!!

Attend the ADBSS Hunter clinic this is a great clinic and there will always be people there who know your unit and are glad to share information. This year's clinic is Sept 29 and information is in the link below, think about joining the society but the clinic is free regardless. Members of the society will also be on hand to answer questions and shae info, there will be some great mounts from last years hunt and a banquet for those hunters that evening.

click here http://www.adbss.org/sheep_hunter_clinic.html NOTE the clinic is Sept 27, 2014 same time and place.

Contact the AZG&F regional office for your unit and arrange to talk with the wildlife manager for your unit, they will be more than happy to share survey data and field information for your hunt.

Scout as much as you possibly can, (glass, glass and glass some more) learn the area and try and determine where the sheep hang out, don't get stuck on one ram, keep scouting as much of the region as you can. Even a half a day will help in the end. Finding multiple herds will be beneficial later on, and remember sheep do move. When the hunt approaches narrow your scouting to where you have seen rams your interested in and remember depending on the number of tags you do have competition.

Last but not least DIY is very do able and your success will hinge on the time and effort you can put into it.

Good Luck,

Sheep Hunter Clinic is Sept 27, 2014 at

El Zaribah Shrine Auditorium
552 N. 40th St.
Phoenix, Arizona

Please call the administrative office at (480) 854-8950
to make reservations.

+1 for what Ruthunter said regarding "just remember to have fun". I had my tag in 2008, and the knowledge that I would most likely never again have the chance to hunt and hopefully harvest a ram almost caused me to have an ulcer. You can put waaaayy too much pressure on yourself. It took me a few months to settle down before the hunt, and realize why I hunt. because I enjoy it, and I do it for fun. My hunting partner asked me after we attended the ADBSS seminar, what my goal for the hunt was. I knew he meant score wise, which was what everyone seemed caught up in. I looked him straight in the eye and said" To have fun on this hunt".

As stated above , contact the WM for the unit, they are a great source of info, attend the seminar, GF can supply you with the names of previous tag holders for what ever unit your friend drew. Most will be more than happy to share their experience and info with you. It's a learning curve, and I guarantee once you hunt desert bighorn, you become addicted. My friend drew this year, we think its the same hunt I had, so I am stoked about getting to go out again. "Sheep Fever" is a very real thing. Good luck to your friend, and as stated take LOTS of pix, start before you find sheep, make an " album" of the hunt, cause its alot of fun to go back and reminise years later.

• Like 2

I am one of those people that would never want to use a guide. Unfortunately as long as it can take to draw a sheep tag I wouldn't want to eat tag soup. He may die before ever getting the opportunity again. Just my .02

That's what I'm trying to drive into his head that we need to have fun. His second choice was 15c south. We will definitely be attending the clinic, needless to say I may be as excited as he is. Sheep fever is already kicking in for me.