So it looks like remington is making the 260 again so my wife took one of my guns over this year so I get to get something else. My question is how does the 260 compare to a 243. Is it worth owning both

In the 243 you can shoot 55 gr bullets, the 260 (6.5) can't go that light.

The 260 can shoot 140's the 243 can't go that big.

260 packs a lot more punch down range. If you get one you won't regret it.

260 packs a lot more punch down range. If you get one you won't regret it.

I was hoping you would chime in. What do you think the maximum range is on this gun with a moderate shooter. Would 400-500 yards be maximum for this round

Deer out to 1000yrds and elk out to 800yrds. The 260 is a great round with the right bullet in the right place.

Really dang i might have to take a closer look is the brass easy to be found i have a wssm and the brass is hard to find and when youdo find it it cost way too much. I do know all reloading stuff is hard to find just can't break the bank

Right now your going to pay $1 each for 260, but at least your getting good laupla brass. Ive seen nosler also but its the same price now. I like laupla and run a .298 neck. No turn neck also.

I've used a 6.5-284 running a 140 Amax at 2840fps to take a deer cleanly at 1243 yards. 2800 is definitely doable with a standard 260 and the effective range is really up to the shooters ability. The 6.5 is much more effective than most give it credit for.

Keep in mind brass is easily formed from any 308 based varient. The Lapua brass is definitely worth the money but you can make winchester or Remington 243 brass work just fine.

Right now your going to pay $1 each for 260, but at least your getting good laupla brass. Ive seen nosler also but its the same price now. I like laupla and run a .298 neck. No turn neck also.

. I just didn't want to have to pay almost $3 a case for winchester brass. Thanks for the information all i can hope is i can find one somewhere or get one ordered

A few years ago I had a Remington Model 7 in 260 caliber built for my sweetie to use for everything from pigs to elk.

Put a 3x9 Leupold compact on it, a camo fiberglass stock, cut down to fit her, and even a muzzle break installed to reduce recoil.

post-11017-0-72464700-1419318330_thumb.jpg

I know this is the RRA AR, but Remington is in the background.

And no she's not not the one I had the 260 built for. Her name is Laura.

Laura did shoot it and the first shot was under the bull seye, but the next two were almost touching..

Laura shoots awesome off the bench!

Remington shoots darts with 140 grain Remington factory ammo.

Haven't reloaded for it yet, anyone got a good recipe to try?

I like the 140 grain bullets, but would try others if they shoot good and have good results on game.

Don Martin

I've been shopping for a lightweight rifle for back pack hunting and the Rem 260 and 6.5 Creedmoor seem to be the sweet spot with good trajectory but mild recoil for a lightweight rifle. I've been looking at the Savage 11/111 lightweight hunter at 5.5 lbs. I don't care much for the looks of it though.

I am building a 6.5 SLR, very similar to the .260 Rem ballistic-wise. I plan on shooting out to 1300+ at steel, and looking at the projected ballistics, I would have no issues shooting at deer out to 1K providing conditions are perfect. The 140 Berger VLDs have incredible BCs for the weight.

I am also planning on another build in a year or two for my daughter, looking at a 6 CM, 6x47L, or similar, more for shooting LR and some medium game hunting.

I sure wish Berger would come out with a 125-130 .257 VLD. Then I would just sling those out of my .25-06 Ackley.

Take a look at the 6.5 Creedmoor. Components and ammo are available from Hornady. I've shot the factory 140gr. A-Max in a Savage LRP rifle and it is extremely accurate.

If you want a cool looking black gun you can get a 260 upper built for an AR10 lower. Sweet rig! Bolt guns are usually more accurate and can accommadate longer bullets, but they don't look as cool!

Adam