Sign in to follow this  
azelkhunter69

Looking for a new cam...

I have not bought a camera in a few years but one of mine died on me last season. My favorite camera that I have is a Moultrie D-55 but they don't make it anymore. The batteries last a long time, it has great range, and takes decent pictures. I also have a Stealthcam that works well but it goes through batteries a lot faster than the Moultrie. I am looking at the Stealthcam P22, the Moultrie M-550 and the Primos Truth Cam 57 HD. Anyone have any experience with any of these cameras?

i run a lot of cameras, i buy a couple every year. every covert i have ever had was junk. i have been buying stealth cams the last couple years and really like them. sportsmans guide usually has the best deals on trail cameras

i agree, brownings are pretty good. i think they might be made by stealth

I'm also looking for new ones. I have the old primos cam. They are big and take the D size batteries. They work great but I always wonder if the newer, smaller ones with the AA batteries are better.

you want cameras that take at least 8 AA batteries. they last the longest. i have owned 30+ cameras and have a lot of knowledge on what to look for. there is nothing more frustrating than a $hitty camera. It is an absolutely gut-wrenching feeling to me to spend all the time\money\work on setting up a camera only to return a month later to find out it didn't work properly. feel free to PM me with any questions you guys might have about which cameras to buy, setup, etc. i could save you a LOT of headaches

Well, you guys convinced me to take a look at the Brownings. They get great reviews. I just ordered a Browning Range Ops XR 8mp and also ordered the Primos Truth Cam 48 HD Ultra 7MP. Couldn't pass up the Primos, $149, on sale for $89 and then has a $30 rebate. $59? What the heck. I'll give them a shot and see how I like them compared to the ones I already have. They both run on AA's. I'll let you know how I like them in a couple weeks.

I have had good success with the Bushnell cams. I use lithium batteries in them. Had my cams out for 6 months straight last year and I still have full battery life.

• Like 2

Cameras came today. Messed around with them in the backyard a little. Both have good speed, but the Browning is definitely faster. Real nice features on both...time lapse, multiple photos, video, etc. I am looking forward to see how the perform in the field and at night.

• Like 1

I use stealth cams, nothing to complain about....I'll have to looka t a couple of these ones you guys are talking about.

Good call on the Browning cams AZ Ranger. I love them. I have 3 now. I have had one out for 2 months, taken thousands of pics and still has 100% battery. The Primos cam I bought turned out really well also. I followed a tip by a reviewer and covered up about half the bulbs with electrical tape and it works fine at night. There were some complaints about the night pics "whiting out". Here's some pics from both so you have an idea of what the pics look like.

post-12297-0-67042600-1438040719_thumb.jpg

post-12297-0-02769200-1438040891_thumb.jpg

post-12297-0-24111500-1438041145_thumb.jpg

post-12297-0-42032100-1438041147_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

you want cameras that take at least 8 AA batteries. they last the longest. i have owned 30+ cameras and have a lot of knowledge on what to look for. there is nothing more frustrating than a $hitty camera. It is an absolutely gut-wrenching feeling to me to spend all the time\money\work on setting up a camera only to return a month later to find out it didn't work properly. feel free to PM me with any questions you guys might have about which cameras to buy, setup, etc. i could save you a LOT of headaches

30+ Cameras...holy crap...you must spend a lot of time going out and swapping SD cards and batteries. How many do you have out in the field right now? I know who to go to for tips on cameras :) Thanks!

I bought two of the moultrie trace premise, and checked them over the weekend. The cams were out for 3 weeks, great pics.These cams need a delay, but there is none. Camera #1 = 3600 pics. Camera #2 = 5617 pics.

All pics were animals, but if the elk hang out for 3-4 hours a day the camera needs a delay. I have 4 cams set with over 10,000 pics in 3 weeks. Two of the cams are a different brand, or I would have 20,000.

30+ Cameras...holy crap...you must spend a lot of time going out and swapping SD cards and batteries. How many do you have out in the field right now? I know who to go to for tips on cameras :) Thanks!
I usually only run around 5-7 at any time. It would be a full time job running any more than that! I usually only get about 2-3 years out of cameras before they crap out or get eaten by a bear. Never had one stolen though.
  • Like 1