Sign in to follow this  
fdh88

Tips for consistency?

I bought a bow nearly 2 months ago and have been practicing at 20 yards. I shoot nearly every day but I struggle to remain consistent. I started out great but now I keep shooting low and to the left. I had the bow checked out and I even had my stance looked at. Everything is as it should be. I've had my husband watch me shoot and he says I just need to be more patient and take some deep breaths. So I'll ask, what is everyone's approach? What do you do to stay consistent?

it sounds like you might be developing a case of target panic, even though that usually only happens to veteran archers. if you shoot consistently low and left now, maybe something got bumped on your bow. have you tried adjusting your sight?

I guess my thought on this is just what your thread says. Consistency. Always do the same exact thing every time. Stance, breathing, arrow placement on string, amount of time you hold your draw, etc etc. It's what I found the best way to be consistent. I am no expert tho. JMO

At first I thought it was the sight so I took it to a shop and shot there and everything was on point. So I definitely think it's me. I'm just going to keep at it and try to improve.

In my opinion grip and bow torque are the hardest things for new shooters to understand. Once you get down a consistant grip with no torque your groups will improve. You should only use your bow hand as a brace for the bow with maybe a slight pressure with your index finger. Dont use your entire hand to grip the bow.

Also make sure your anchor point is exactly the same every time. Installing a kisser on the string can help achieve this although i dont really like them.

Last but not least is correct arrow spine. Too much spine or too little will cause your arrow to be off no matter what you do form wise.

• Like 1

WRite down your process step by step. Then work on each step individually until each one is worked out. But you need to do your process every shot and each step of the process right and the same way every time.

... don't peek. ... "perfect practice" is what its all about

... maybe a slight pressure with your index finger. Dont use your entire hand to grip the bow.

Also make sure your anchor point is exactly the same every time.

I like these suggestions.

On the "don't peek," also don't flinch, and do follow through. Trust that if the only thing that moves is your index finger on the release, the bow will do the exact same thing every time.

As mentioned use the same steps every time. Watch a golfer do his "waggle" and you'll see a golfer do the same thing before every shot, every time.

Also, you tried adjusting the sight correct? You mention a shop looking at it but if you're hitting low left, move your sight down and left. It's easy. If doing that still results in low left it is defiantly you.

The thing that has probably helped me more than anything is developing a strict shot routine. Talk yourself through every step. Start by speaking out loud and later on switch to using the inside voice.

For me it goes like this:

1. Take a big breath in and squeeze the handle of the bow and my release, then let the breathe out and relax your hands. This will make you less likely to squeeze during the shot.

2. Take a breath in and draw. Once you hit your anchor point and settle in, let that breathe out.

3. Take a little breathe in, hold it and aim.

4. Squeeze that trigger. I try to squeeze it how holding steady and increasing the pressure in the palm of my hand against the bow handle slightly so that you dont even notice you squeezed the trigger.

I talk myself every shot even on animals. Draw, aim, squeeze! Crap, i missed! Draw, aim, squeeze again!

Guest akaspecials

Another thing to consider is fatigue. My first 50 arrows are always dead on, after that they fall right and down due to fatigue and my form changing. Like everyone else has said, gripping the handle and lack of consistency are the most common mistakes I see.

One other thing that helped me is to just let the pin hover/circle over the bulls eye since it is almost impossible to hold it 100% still. Slowly squeeze the trigger so it's a surprise when it goes off. Also don't follow the arrow with your eyes or flinch as you do this. Lots of great tips in this thread.