andrsn12

Mojave or Diamondback?

OP both Mojave and Diamondbacks have the white and black banded tails ... IN this one you can see the white and black bands are almost equal in thickness ... in a Mojave the White Bands will be significantly larger than much thinner black bands.

Check the scales between its eyes like that dude said the other day.

I like "that dude"! I've been called a helluva lot worse! Scales between the eyes is the best, 100% way to know the difference, especially since tail patterns don't always line up like the books say they should.

Compared to this one.....you have to zoom in on the tail but clearly very different???

Again, I didn't look at the scales between the eyes!!! :)

attachicon.gifIMG_1989.JPG

That doesn't look like a diamondback or a mojave (with a "j"). That looks like a viridis (Crotalus nuntius; Hopi rattlesnake) from the NE part of the state, like Arizona Griz suggests.

• Like 1

Check the scales between its eyes like that dude said the other day.

I like "that dude"! I've been called a helluva lot worse! Scales between the eyes is the best, 100% way to know the difference, especially since tail patterns don't always line up like the books say they should.

Compared to this one.....you have to zoom in on the tail but clearly very different???

Again, I didn't look at the scales between the eyes!!! :)

attachicon.gifIMG_1989.JPG

That doesn't look like a diamondback or a mojave (with a "j"). That looks like a viridis (Crotalus nuntius; Hopi rattlesnake) from the NE part of the state, like Arizona Griz suggests.

Snowflake.....so eastern part of the stae, white mountains in the cedars ......interesting information, thanks....

Green Mojave are smaller rattle snakes.I have seen some beautiful diamondback rattlesnakes that were green like the ones posted. It's the Arizona black rattlesnakes that I always watch out for. They look too much like pine branches on the ground.

• Like 1

IA ... My bad ... not paying attention and my Iphone's spell check changes the J to an H ... I agree the better Pic of Non-Typical's snake looks like a prairie rattler now ( a.k.a Hopi ) You can really see the back pattern a lot better. Without seeing the head better I still think the OPs here is a Diamondback

• Like 1