Sign in to follow this  
WampusCat

Upland of a different feather

Yet again work has kept me from Coues country this season, but I learned a long time ago that YOU have to make the best of situations and take advantage of every opportunity.

A year ago I did not know these birds existed. When I first encountered them, it was by chance that I kicked up a few, deep in the jungle on a small opening cleared for planting peanuts or "ground nuts" as the locals call them. There is a special state of heightened alert that I default to while I am away in foreign lands and theses birds were the last thing I was looking for when two of them exploded at my feet in the usual upland fashion. My body locked up at first, but as they cleared ten paces, there was no mistaking the familiar sound of fast wings beating against feathered breast on their way out of dodge. I couldn't help but smile and begin to plot. After that encounter I knew I had to figure out a way to pursue these birds while I am in this neck of the woods. I lucked into a friend here that connected me to another friend and although we don't speak the same language we share the same international love of the hunt.

Bigger than a large quail and smaller than a pheasant, both male and female plumage is similar to a hen pheasant from home. There are multiple varieties and can be specifically targeted depending on the terrain you bust (and I do mean bust) through. One of these varieties even sports two sets of spurs on each leg. Another who lives under the canopy has bright orange legs and feet similar to a Mallard.

The trail to these birds usually leads into some of the thickest veg and toughest country I have come across. You are guaranteed to end up wet from the waist down by way of dew soaked foliage that never dries out under the thick canopy. Following a local guy through the brush and over the hills, the miles seem longer when the jungle is grabbing at you, intent on slowing you to a snails pace. All of the exertion fades from the mind as you near the edge of a clearing and prepare yourself for the next mighty flush. The birds faithfully hold tight and flush from in some cases seemingly non-existent cover at your feet. Their flush does not disappoint. Every bit as startling and loud as pheasant and quick like a quail. As you shoulder the weapon in preparation for the shot the optical illusion of the large bird so close gives way to reality as he puts meters between you and dips behind every possible shot blocking tree and bush. The moment is fleeting at best and occasionally you get lucky and knock one from the sky. The admiration for the bird is similar to the hard won trophy of a Coues or Mearns where serious effort put forth negotiating the terrain they inhabit demands respect after the harvest. Aldo Leopold said "The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size, but on the magnitude of effort expended in its pursuit". While he surely wasn't referencing these birds, his words echo in my head after these hunts.

Meet the Francolin... I will let the pics tell the rest of the story.

post-11266-0-63489900-1480278293_thumb.jpg

Twin Spur variety

post-11266-0-53820000-1480278391_thumb.jpg

Breast plumage

post-11266-0-55751600-1480278420.jpg

post-11266-0-85506000-1480278535.jpg

post-11266-0-16626100-1480278900_thumb.jpg

A days worth of trophies bound for the skillet

post-11266-0-11366400-1480278988_thumb.jpg

My son thinks they are pretty swell!

post-11266-0-73067100-1480279016.jpg

It is literally a jungle out there

post-11266-0-34663700-1480279126_thumb.jpg

Sometimes you find small Cocoa plantations under the tall canopy where someone is trying scratch out a living.

post-11266-0-81939100-1480279216.jpg

Sometimes it's a Manioc or Cassava plantation protected by bad medicine from a witch doctor (red bag tied to plant). If you steal from this plot you will be cursed until you find the with doctor who made the medicine.

post-11266-0-55676100-1480279470.jpg

There is no shortage of huge Papaya growing everywhere

post-11266-0-53803300-1480279678.jpg

A very typical local residence.

post-11266-0-92129100-1480279965_thumb.jpg

Detail of construction technique

post-11266-0-06452600-1480279847_thumb.jpg

Feisty Jungle Cock. Gave this sucker a wide berth.

post-11266-0-83454100-1480279814_thumb.jpg

Butterflies gathered on some dead glass in a well worn trail.

post-11266-0-92613400-1480280944_thumb.jpg

Freshly taken bush meat is always available roadside. Anything from porcupines to large snakes and monitor lizards to this Civet.

post-11266-0-29422700-1480280090.jpg

• Like 10

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing.

Not sure what do for a living, but you're a long way from home! :)

Safe travels!

• Like 1

Great pictures and story, and a unique bird! Glad to see you're able to make the most of the time you're spending there.

I was in Namibia this past July, and while everyone was so worried about shooting their big game trophies, I was enamored with the sand grouse and their version of the francolin, which is a drab gray color. Shot a couple of them with a .22 and skinned out to sneak back in my suitcase, but forgot it in the lodges fridge unfortunately.

• Like 1

Great write-up and adventure in making the best of what you have. I am really looking forward to reading your stories when you get home safe and soon brother! I'll hopefully experience a couple with you, too.

• Like 1

Wow really cool

• Like 1

Is the civet cat still alive? They're the ones who eat the coffee beans right?

• Like 1

Thanks fellas, thought this forum needed some action. Happy to contribute when I can.

I am really looking forward to reading your stories when you get home safe and soon brother! I'll hopefully experience a couple with you, too.

I'm ready buddy!

Is the civet cat still alive? They're the ones who eat the coffee beans right?

No, not much is left kicking by the time they reach the side of the road.

Same family critter but different species and on a different continent. Think the one you speak of is a Palm Civet.