Jesushunt

Onan 4000 generator

Any buddy do a Rv work here I’m looking to fix my generator on my rv it have a. Code 13 and I can’t get it to run for more then 4 minutes I’m at new river 

I had the same issue with mine. Ended up replacing the carb and it has ran without issue since. Very easy to replace. You can buy it online.  Also, Check for cracks in the fuel line between the tank and the filter at the bottom of the generator or wherever the line bends to see if it is drawing in air. If it draws in any air, it will cause the same problem. 

I found this for you as well

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/onan-generator-fault-13.485183/

https://www.justanswer.com/small-engine/avllk-onan-4000microquiet-showing-code-13.html

Hope this helps 

Ryan

I've got the same issue with my 5500. Started acting up all the sudden. 

It was working perfect in January and last month and today I have that issue it’s a pain but I will check the fuel line tomorrow and see... 

thx guys for the info 

Guys, I spent 15 years in the small engine industry.... ethanol in the fuel is the biggest problem! The seals in the carb, fuel lines, etc were designed for gasoline and not alcohol. Use true fuel or stabil in your small engines. If you get up to areas like Sedona that have ethanol free fuel, fill up there! Otherwise, clean and rebuild carbs and fuel systems and it will take care of most problems!... run your carbs dry after use if you have a fuel shut off. Empty tanks if using pump gas. It’s not like the old days where leaving the fuel system full was a good idea! The ethanol in the fuel will actually absorb water from the air and even through plastic fuel tanks and rubber lines. Once the ethanol reaches a saturation point with the water the water will separate and severely corrode any aluminum in your fuel system. If you find an engine that is very low hours and does not run, it is most generally the carb is plugged up with corrosion and is an easy fix for somebody that has very little mechanical ability.

• Like 2

Ok I got a update I ended up putting a new carburetor new spark plug new air filter fuel filter  it will run fine for over a hour until I try to run the ac...

it will run for like 5 minutes and turn off now the same code come back up the 13 code

Check the check valve on the tank itself. The ball inside could be stuck in place which would cause a suction and not allow the fuel to leave the tank. Just crack the gas cap when the engine stops running and see if there is any suction when you open the gas cap. 

11 hours ago, matt said:

Check the check valve on the tank itself. The ball inside could be stuck in place which would cause a suction and not allow the fuel to leave the tank. Just crack the gas cap when the engine stops running and see if there is any suction when you open the gas cap.

still doing the same deal only turn off with the load of the ac but I run a 3000eu Honda and the Honda run fine 

My guess is that both the carb and fuel pump were bad and you fixed the carb and now it will run on little to no load, but like AzHeat said, next thing to check is the fuel pump. If the pump isn’t keeping up with it when it has the higher load from the AC running, it is starving for fuel and after a few minutes it dies out. 

36 minutes ago, duxngeez said:

My guess is that both the carb and fuel pump were bad and you fixed the carb and now it will run on little to no load, but like AzHeat said, next thing to check is the fuel pump. If the pump isn’t keeping up with it when it has the higher load from the AC running, it is starving for fuel and after a few minutes it dies out. 

Ok thx for the help guys I will get a new pump  and and go from that