Sign in to follow this  
BIGBUGPETE

Which rifle is best for coues and psossibly elk?

Ok guys im looking to buy a new rifle that i can take long shots at coues with. Possibly 400+ yards. Either a .270 or 7mm.Im also looking for one that will be able to take down elk from maybe 200 yards. Basically i want an all around rifle that is very flat shooting and very accurate. Which rifle would be better? I really want a long shooting deer rifle. Help me guys!

Ok guys im looking to buy a new rifle that i can take long shots at coues with. Possibly 400+ yards. Either a .270 or 7mm.Im also looking for one that will be able to take down elk from maybe 200 yards. Basically i want an all around rifle that is very flat shooting and very accurate. Which rifle would be better? I really want a long shooting deer rifle. Help me guys!

cant beat the .270 wsm

What ever gun you can hit the most frequently at.

I have taken, or seen deer taken with :

270 wsm

7 mag

7 ultra mag

30-06

all deer are just as dead as any out there.

First of all are you talking a 270 winchester and a 7mm Remington? There are several other choices to look at as well. 270 winchester short mag, and 270 weatherby mag. There is also a 7mm STW, a 7mm Remington Ultra mag, and even a 7mm weatherby mag.

Any of these calibers with the right bullet, load, and shot placement will do what you are asking. The 270's are all designed to shoot bullets in the 100-150 grain range with the most common being 130's and 140's. The 7mm's are really designed for a little heavier bullet with the most common in the 140-165 range.

Many people think the 270 winchester is about the minimum cartridge for elk hunting. Many people believe the 7mm remington is the ideal cartridge for elk. Either way they've both killed there fair share.

If you really want to get technical and look at long range ballistics the 7mm will have better ballistic coeficients.

You decide, there really is no wrong answer!

Well thanks guys i appreciate the help. Im leaning towards the 7mm now. Does it kick more than the .270 because my girlfriend will be using this gun for her hunt as well.

If you want to buy only one gun, get a 30-06 and be done with it. If it has be one of the two you mentioned 7mm without a doubt.

Well thanks guys i appreciate the help. Im leaning towards the 7mm now. Does it kick more than the .270 because my girlfriend will be using this gun for her hunt as well.

yes

Do like me and spend insane amounts of money building a .300 WM, put a fancy turreted scope on it, bed it, put special bipod feet on it to limit hop, start reloading for this one gun only.... and end up with a 7mm more or less again. :rolleyes: But hey, it's all part of the hobby and a 7mm is pretty nice rifle in my opinon.