recurveman

Rut activity yet?

Watched several bucks in 36b fighting, tearing up trees and a little bit of chasing does. This morning I had 8 bucks in the FOV of my glasses, the biggest one was running the smaller ones all over the hillside, it was real cool. We saw 17 bucks yesterday and around 12 today but nothing my buddy wanted to take.......right now anyway!

I would say that the rut is just started up down south but not yet in full swing but who knows, you could go two canyons over and they might be rutting hard.

C'MON JANUARY!

Just got back right now and in 36c the small/medium size bucks are pushing does pretty good. The big boys are still kinda in hiding, but i saw an occasional monster w/ a doe or two. No shots tho.

Spent friday and saturday in unit 31. We glassed for many hours regularly glassing up groups of does w/ no bucks around. We also glassed up 4 different groups of pigs. The only buck we glassed was alone at about 10 am showing no signs of rut activity. He was a good buck w/ long main beams and good mass that I think would have scored mid nineties. He was in the thick stuff and slipped away while we closed the gap. I'm hoping next week the rut activity will be better. It is strange how different areas in the state have different levels of rut activity.

4 hard days later and the coues in unit 28 are still not rutting, I may actually have to drive all the way over to unit 27 to find a good one and some rut action. I saw some carp getting after it though, maybe the coues will follow. I passed on some weener bucks hoping the good ones will come out after Christmas ;)

Bret M.

I was out on saturday and sunday, Saw plenty of deer, a nice 30 inch 3x3 but could only get to about 65 yards of him, never gave me a good shot, he had 15 does with him, there was a spike in there as well, saw another group of deer with 2 bucks fighting and acouple of piggies,

I was down in 29 for three days didn't see much rut activity at all. Talk to some other hunters that said that they had seen a few bucks chasing does. My nephew did miss a little three point at 35 yards other than that it was pretty tough. After I got back from there went to 23 for a couple days with my uncle and cousin. The bucks were just going crazy down there. Bucks were chasing does everywhere. My uncle killed a 95 inch class buck, will try to get pics posted after they are developed. My cousin missed four bucks yesterday, due to inexperience. The bucks he missed were all chasing does. Right after my uncle killed his deer another buck moved in on his doe and mounted her. So the rut in 23 seems to be getting in full swing.

Brian

Thats good to hear the rut is picking up. My buddy just shot a buck in southeastern AZ, said the bucks were chasin does. I will let him give the details.

Just wanted everyone to know that the rut is in full swing in unit 33. Today I saw 13 bucks, the hills were covered with bucks chasing does. I envey anyone with this rifle hunt. ;)

I was in unit 32 last weekend (friday Dec, 17th), and saw absolutely no rut activity. Stiff wind that day. I was only out a half day, but I think in that amount of time we should have seen something. We saw ~5 different groups and a total of 30 deer. (does separate from bucks) Surely the rut has picked up since then in 32? The interesting thing about the rut is the fact that it is so unpredictable and variable around the region. I saw a muley pushing does hard in the middle of Nov during the coues hunt this year in unit 31. Actually saw him mount up. I guess when the does produce the estrus, the bucks will go crazy...no matter the time.

I just got back from unit 8 (with a critter). The rut was going on big time. I can't even begin to tell you how many rubs and scrapes I saw. I saw well over a dozen scrapes on Monday and I was out of the woods by 1:00 in the afternoon. I haven't seen activity like this since I hunting in Michigan.

Later,

recuveman