Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Decoys?

Are they necessary, or should I be mobile and not restricted by the decoys?

This is my first Turkey hunt, so I am trying to figure stuff out. I bought some calls and have been working them trying to get used to them. 

I sure am happy I had some Turkey ammo stashed away for a rainy day because trying to find some has been rough. 

Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't. If the birds where you're hunting have been pressured, it might be best to not pack them with you. 

I've had birds humping them, some see them and run the other direction. Hard to say what will happen. More open country some birds like to see what they're talking to. Thicker country seems a little bit easier to get them to come in closer to range. Again, some like them, some don't. 

• Like 4

Yep I agree with Coues79. I've had times where they ran right into my decoys and others where the decoy made them stand-offish, or just flat out recognize it's a setup. It really depends on the situation, but don't be afraid to call and just sit tight. 

• Like 2

It’s really up to you. I was in Kansas last week called in 2 birds in and they totally ignored the decoys and fed our in front of my kid and she hammered one and I killed the other

I don't use them very much. Patience is Key!...........................BOB!

It is going to be tough I think with patience and movement as my 6 and 9 year old will be going with me and my hunting buddy. We are going to give it a shot though and see what we can get done. 

I have better luck when I use them but lots of times I don't have time to set them up.