Sign in to follow this  
NativeRat

Precautions in southern units

Great Post guys. I have the Nov28th hunt in 36b. I will have my cell phone,GPS, and 45 on me at all times. A friend of mine has voluteered to sit where ever we camp with a shotgun as well. i have never hunted down south before any other tips? you guys setup some sort of perimeter around camp?

new quote by me - "My Safety First!!!"

I too showed my wife the pics on this post. She is telling me I need to try harder to get one during Archery Season...

Go to Ebay, and type in Motion Detector Alarm. There are several battery opperated devices that will give your camp some added security... I usally set up two of them to form a perimeter when going to sleep.

Hi all! I'm new to this site and was trying to get some insight about hunting Coues. This will be my first time and I have a tag in early Nov. 35B. Not looking for anyones honey holes but anything would be appreciated :D

Hi all! I'm new to this site and was trying to get some insight about hunting Coues. This will be my first time and I have a tag in early Nov. 35B. Not looking for anyones honey holes but anything would be appreciated :D

Welcome to the site, There is a lot of good things to learn on here, hope you do good on your hunt this year. :)

Here are 2 of 4 bails that were found by my trailcam this weekend, I had to wait until almost dark for BP to clear the area and get the dog out. I was advised to make it quick because the other 11 they did not catch would more than likely be coming back to get bundles that were stashed.

The danger is REAL down there and don't let anyone tell you different. Keep and eye out and stay alert.

I will NEVER let someone dictate by fear what I can do in MY COUNTRY!

Here are 2 of 4 bails that were found by my trailcam this weekend, I had to wait until almost dark for BP to clear the area and get the dog out. I was advised to make it quick because the other 11 they did not catch would more than likely be coming back to get bundles that were stashed.

The danger is REAL down there and don't let anyone tell you different. Keep and eye out and stay alert.

I will NEVER let someone dictate by fear what I can do in MY COUNTRY!

Thanks for taking the time to call that in Brian!! I for one appreciate people who assist law enforcement.

Amanda

Welcome to the site, There is a lot of good things to learn on here, hope you do good on your hunt this year. :)

Thank you!! :)

Thanks for taking the time to call that in Brian!! I for one appreciate people who assist law enforcement.

Amanda

I did not call it in, they were there when I got there to check my cam but I will not hesitate to help those guys out and have done so in the past. I offered weapons back up, BP commented on how I was better armed than they were :rolleyes:

Those BP agents were working their tales off, I took some good photos with my camera but swapped the card in my camera out with the trailcam card. I will get those photos when I check the cam this weekend.

some guys i work with got their trailer broke into and lost a buncha stuff in 36b last year. hi dollar bino's, several guns, all their food. they also had a face to face confrontation with some illegals that ended up with guns bein' pointed. be careful. Lark.

Has anyone ever heard of any problems in 29? :blink:

I'm going to be hunting there in Nov, its going to be my first time down there.

I've hunted 29 on and off for the past 15 years and have not seen one illegal. I did have a scary encounter in 30A (due south of 29) once. I would carry a sidearm just to be safe just about anywhere south of I-10.

Thanks, I've been wondering. I know that you never know what to expect.

What happened in 30A?

Just crusin down a dirt road (Big Boss Ranch Road) and see what appears to be another hunter standing outside his truck. Rifle, camo, the works. When we get to within 100 yards he lifts his rifle up at the same time about 12 illegals pop up out of a ditch and pile into his truck. We had a stand off (kind of just staring at eachother) for a minute or so and he then finally jumped in the truck and took off. Scary, to say the least, when you find them armed. One illegal got left behind. We passed by and spotted him in the ditch on our way out. I'm sure he froze his butt off that night.

Great Post guys. I have the Nov28th hunt in 36b. I will have my cell phone,GPS, and 45 on me at all times. A friend of mine has voluteered to sit where ever we camp with a shotgun as well. i have never hunted down south before any other tips? you guys setup some sort of perimeter around camp?

new quote by me - "My Safety First!!!"

I too showed my wife the pics on this post. She is telling me I need to try harder to get one during Archery Season...

just keep that gun handy. they usually dont bother you unless theyre packin dope. if you hit some dope runners and they do anything, shoot them son of a bucks and ask questions later. them are the ones to watch for. as for your camp. ya they will get into it. i had them in mine two years ago. just hid anything valuable in a truck or somewhere safe

Here are some more very recent trail cam picutres... No wonder there are very few deer in these southern units...

post-565-1220571701_thumb.jpgpost-565-1220571712_thumb.jpgpost-53-1113623964.jpg

post-565-1220571722_thumb.jpg

You got one of those trailcams that can see the future! :rolleyes:

Another interesting fact is that while talking with some BP agents they said that the smugglers have way more technology than the BP due to the unlimited funds available to them, that's pretty sad.

I built this for the sole purpose of defending myself need be while scouting/checking cams down south, I pray I never have to use it.

AR001.jpg

You got one of those trailcams that can see the future! :rolleyes:

Another interesting fact is that while talking with some BP agents they said that the smugglers have way more technology than the BP due to the unlimited funds available to them, that's pretty sad.

I built this for the sole purpose of defending myself need be while scouting/checking cams down south, I pray I never have to use it.

AR001.jpg

Sweet Ar, who makes the receiver, it looks custom.