Sign in to follow this  
Ringer

Extra diesel tank.

Just bought a  used GMC 3500HD with a Duramax. I want to add a tank that sits below the rails. Anyone done this and where did you have it installed?

I have a 50 gal Lund I bought from Amazon.  Black Aluminum.  About 500.00.  I bought the y piece that goes in the filler neck for my truck. My bil owed me so he put it in. It took him a few hours. Sit's below the bed behind the cab.

I purchased a RDS 90 gallon tank and installed it myself.  Even at 90 gallons with a toolbox it sits below the bed so I can still have a cover on.

https://www.ganderoutdoors.com/auxiliary-combo-fuel-tool-boxes-90-gallon-56506.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign={Campaign}&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiO78xcSz8AIVtSitBh3g6QqlEAQYBCABEgItqfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Something similar came up on another forum.  The topic of fuel bladders came up. Seemed like a good idea.

So they are both hooked directly to the trucks tank? I have seen ones with the 12v pumps and nozzle which might be easier but they are not cheap.

I went old school munual valve feed. It will not over flow. When I'm not hunting and rocking the truck, I leave it open all the time. When hunting I'll open the valve and transfer duel. That way it don't leak out of the vent...when your going up and down etc.

I did not want to go the electric option for a chance of failure. 

I did buy an electric fuel pump and put hoses on both ends and keep a extra battery at camp incase I need to transfer into someone else's truck. (My sons). And it works great for that. They never pay you back..lol

Lots of options Glenn, just depends on what you're looking for. Cliffs welding will hook you up if your not going to do it yourself. 

Get a aluminum one..not steel.

I did the same except I did a solenoid valve so I can open and close it while going down the highway from inside the cab.  Again wasn’t all that difficult.  Love passing gas stations while pulling the trailer!

This is still on my list...just haven’t found the right one to make it work with the short bed and fifth wheel hitch and still fit under the bed cover. 

Thanks Mark, I will call Cliff's. I too have a short bed and will have a 5th wheel hitch. I have seen the tanks work on them as long as they aren't too deep.

28 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Mine is a short bed dodge with 5th wheel  hitch. 

Same truck I have. Which Lund do you have? All of them I saw on Amazon specify they aren’t DOT rated as aux fuel tanks. 

22 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Same truck I have. Which Lund do you have? All of them I saw on Amazon specify they aren’t DOT rated as aux fuel tanks. 

Fuel means gasoline 

16 minutes ago, bigorange said:

I just looked, you are right.  I've had mine for a couple years and it was UN DOT certified for diesel at that time.  It looks exactly like the black 50 gallon aluminum on Amazon and they all say not for fuel. Lund must have not renewed thier cert on them.

As far as function goes, no difference.  It's just a way for DOT to get more money.