COOSEFAN

Product Reveiw:

To start this reveiw, I'd like to mention that I tested this product while on an actual hunt so I was able to form a genuine feel for its pros and cons in the process!

The product is being called the "Bino Chest Pouch" or "Bino Bag" and is similar to the "Bino Buddy" system that is popular today, but has some real advantages over that current harness system!

binobuddie7.jpg

In the past I've always used the "suspender" type bino harness and although it was better than having the bino's hanging off your neck, they still continually bounced or swayed from side to side while walking and even more problems occured if you had to run or crawl! I've gotten accustomed to holding the bino's with my left hand continuously, regardless what I was doing, in order to control the bounce or sway and that was usually frustrating. I believe we now have an alternative with this new product!

My first impression with this "Bino Pouch" was how comfortable it was once strapped and fitted on to you. It truely has a "form-fitting" feel and there is virtually no bounce or sway while walking! The main reason for that is the straps are NOT "stretchy" like a bungee cord, but are a durable, woven strap. The model that i have has 4 zippered pouches and 1 sleeve for a lense pen. The straps are fitted with buckles which makes it easy to put on and take off and has easy pull tabs for tightening. It also has an internal liner with a pull cord to seal off you bino's from dust and debri.......but this proved to be a bad thing in certain situations as I'll later describe.

binobuddie6.jpg

binobuddie5.jpg

My first "real" test with this product went as follows.......

It was early in the morning, a huge bull was spotted and the stalk was on! Three of us covered close to 1 mile as fast as we could and i never once had to hold on to my binos and never once was frustrated with them swaying back and forth! Once within range of the bull he decided to bed down out of sight. The ground and forage was covered in dew and while crawling on all fours, I noticed myself grabbing for my binos to keep them from dragging or getting wet.......no need for it, the Bino Pouch worked perfectly! The Bino Pouch really proved it's usefullness at that point and was very noticeable how accustomed I'd become to my old harness system and it's drawbacks! At this point I was really impressed with the Bino Pouch, but soon realized one major drawback....the liner! In the dead calm quiet of the morning, and being well within range of a monster bull, I cringed each time I pulled out my binos! The liner made an unavoidable noise which sounded more like I was digging into a bag of Dorito's! It never sounded that loud any other time, but I guarantee any Coues buck bedded within 100 yards of me at that moment would have heard that! If I had known this Bino Pouch was mine to keep, I would have cut that liner out right then and there! I never did pick that bull out of the brush, but he did stay bedded until we returned later that evening and it was at that time he finally gave us the shot we wanted!

No need to worry about the liner though, the creator of the Bino Pouch has already made the change to remove that as well as making the top cover larger, quieter zippers, and a larger compartment for accessories! With those changes, the Bino Pouch is a "must have" for anyone that hates "bino sway or bounce" or for anyone that rides a quad or UTV during a hunt. The top flap is all that is necessary to keep out dust, rain, and debri.

I hadn't learned yet about which changes were being made, so I took photos depicting how the liner would pull in and out when removing the binos. This is when the audible noise happens and really was my only complaint.

binobuddie4.jpg

Binobuddie3.jpg

The zippers are loud but I tucked them into the pockets, as you can see in this pic, thus illiminating that noise and that is also one of the other changes already being made, so no worries! The pouches on this model are adequate size but with the new improved version you will be able to carry most small rangfinders, lense cleaning kit, or whatever else you want. In this picture you can also see how I tucked the top flap back so the bino's were easily accessible when in a situation where I needed them constantly. It was comfortable this way and if I didn't plan on using them again I would just pull the flap back over.

binobuddie2.jpg

In summary, I was optimistic at first because I've become so accustomed to my orginal, "bouncy" bino harness and never thought about one of these pouches. But after using and getting comfortable with this Bino Pouch I feel it's definitely a valued asset for me and I will probably never use the other harness again! The "new and improved" Bino Pouch's should be available in the CWT.com store within the next few months, I'm sure Amanda will let us know when they are available!

I've already taken scissors to that dang liner and I love this Bino Pouch now and would highly reccommend this product to any serious hunter! You'll see me wearin' mine this year in more photos ;)

binobuddie9.jpg

Great write up Jim. A few years ago before I started using the Suspender type harness I used a Bino Pouch that Crooked horn made then. This one looks even much better. They are great for the reasons you stated plus they keep your Binos dry in rain or snow conditions. I will have to add one of those to my Buy list.

Thanks for the review Jim! Nice pics! I think the new and improved version will be a definite winner. The guy who makes them is up in Alaska Guiding for the next 5 weeks, and he is a one man operation, so he didn't have an exact date when the new ones would be ready. But I will definitely let everyone know. I think it will be a couple months.

Amanda

Jim nice write-up I'll have to give it a try.. I've been using the system from Nimrod.. It is like most current systems but yet it doesn't stretch and move while walking.

Jaret is a great guy! I was originally introduced to him through Swarovski when I was looking for a good bino system. I subsequently received the original product and got it to Amanda cause I knew she could help Jaret get his product on the market so my hat is off to Amanda for getting this thing out!

Great review Jim. I know your input will be taken seriously and the finished product will be just what people need. It should be noted that these were specifically designed for the 10x42's and as far as I know (like I said I tried the orignal prototype) they will NOT work with the 10x50's or larger.

NOW IF SOMEONE WOULD JUST MAKE SOMETHING FOR US GUYS THAT CARRY THE 10X50'S!!!!!! I've tried just about everything out there.......needless to say I'm still looking.

Jaret is a great guy! I was originally introduced to him through Swarovski when I was looking for a good bino system. I subsequently received the original product and got it to Amanda cause I knew she could help Jaret get his product on the market so my hat is off to Amanda for getting this thing out!

Great review Jim. I know your input will be taken seriously and the finished product will be just what people need. It should be noted that these were specifically designed for the 10x42's and as far as I know (like I said I tried the orignal prototype) they will NOT work with the 10x50's or larger.

NOW IF SOMEONE WOULD JUST MAKE SOMETHING FOR US GUYS THAT CARRY THE 10X50'S!!!!!! I've tried just about everything out there.......needless to say I'm still looking.

Good point! I didn't even think about the folks that carry bigger glass outside of the pack such as 50mm's. I did however just go and put my 15x56's in this Bino Pouch I have and they fit. The only thing is that the top flap doesn't fully cover the binos but it does cover enough and will snap shut with room to spare on the strap that secures the buckle. With the exception of length, all other size dimensions of the 15x56's are fine and fit good in this Bino Pouch, just need a bigger top flap which is already in the works! I would imagine that the new model will work fine for the larger 50mm objective binos, but it does appear as though the design of this model is better suited for smaller, more commonly neck worn binoculars. JIM>

Jaret is making one that will fit 15x56's. So I imagine your 10x50 would fit in that as well.....

Amanda

That's the best news I've heard about any bino system. I was just on the phone with Badlands the other day and their bino systems won't fit the 10x50's either. I worked with Maddog gear last season to try and come up with a bigger "pouch" on their system as well.....unfortunately they are very unresponsive.

I can't wait to get my hands on the larger system from Jaret......I've been waiting for something like this it seems like forever!

Since other products have been mentioned I will give everybody a heads up on the new badlands bino pack... I tested a prototype a few weeks ago in Utah and they are awesome... They close using magnets not zippers, they have a neat clasp for your range finder but the coolest thing is that they have a back pocket that is designed to hold a water bladder... They are also designed to work with any badland pack... you just attached it to the chest straps... It is sweet...

http://www.badlandspacks.com/bino.php

J-

Have you tried the IPI bino manager? My Duovids fit...

Jim,

Did you notice any problem/difficulty not having the binos attached to a strap or the pouch system and just loose, like when you are focused looking at something and have to replace the binos in the pouch by feel?

quote]

Have you tried the IPI bino manager? My Duovids fit...

Yep.....they suck when it comes to fitting the 10x50's......I worked with Maddog gear before finding the Alaskan Guide Creations setup.....supposedly Maddog gear was going to get out some prototypes for a larger bino and never did......I've contacted them dozens of times.....Not at all impressed with their customer service or product development.

Jaret's product has gone through NUMEROUS changes to get where it is now.....why because it listens to peoples input and critism and makes the changes necessary to have a top notch product......my money goes to his product!

• Like 1

Thanks for the review Jimbo, I'll have to steal yours next time we're huntin' together!