Sign in to follow this  
dennis j mahony

travel trailer

If you can't get the flame to light at all, and you're sure the gas is on, there's probably an obstruction in the pilot tube. If the flame lights and goes out when you release the gas control knob after holding it in for the recommended 20 to 30 seconds, that's the sign of a thermocouple malfunction.

• Like 1

Edge is correct if it's an old system with a pilot light. For at least the last 20 years most have an electic igniter rather than a pilot light. Makes diagnosis a bit more complicated but surely doable with rudimentary knowledge and tools.

1 minute ago, dennis j mahony said:

no pilot light on this one. switch inside trailer. I replaced the circuit board but that wasn't it. it's a 2018 winnebago

Call Winnebago they are usually very helpful over the phone 

• Like 1

There is a thermo switch and high limit switch that I had to replace on mine. It has a little reset switch, but I had to replace mine. Cheap part and easy to get at.  

I have experienced issues where the gas takes a long time to charge the line up to the pilot light. What I have done in the past is held a flame underneath the thermocouple until the unit valve opens and fires. Those 6” grill lighters work well. there may still a pilot light that lights with the electronica spark. Then the pilot heats the thermal couple before it will allow the valve to open. This is to ensure that there is enough heat to burn the gas.

Also, wasps and spiders like to clog up the works sometimes.