azcouesandelk

gonna try shed hunting

Ok I have never done this before, but I have been able to find some sheds while bird hunting and training up north. I have a couple of questions for you guys.

1. Where should I look for sheds?

2. Should I just sit and try to glass them up?

3. If I see a buck on a ridge should I look for shed s on that ridge?

Any advice would be appreciated.

hey younghunter,

I've had good luck finding sheds all over.From up high to down low.I seem to find a lot of lion killed deer at the bottom of canyons and in the middle of drainages. I found a nice lion killed buck with really tall eye guards at the bottom of a canyon while hunting in nov this year.The best thing to do is keep your eyes on the ground and follow well established deer trails.another thing todo is get out ahead of hunters in early fall.Because once hunting season gets going a lot of antlers get picked up. Walk a bunch and keep your eyes peeled. glassing works ok but most of my sheds have been found walking around the hills. hope this gives you an idea of where to start. the biggest thing is just getting out there and walking around.

wklman

Ive had good luck with sheds in 23 looking around fences. When the deer jump the fence the landing will knock them off if already loose. Thats my theory anyway.

YH,

Most deer sheds that I've come across have been on saddles and open areas. Probably because its easier to spot an antler and game trails criss cross that likely spot. It takes alot of practice and a lotta luck to get good at spotting an antler, especially in thick areas. :unsure: Many times all I look for is a tip of a tine poking through grass, looking through brush to see whats on the other side. If you get really good sometimes can spot an antler by quickly scanning and picking out what is or looks outta place.Most sheds I've picked up have been singles. Once I find a shed I usaully do a 360 search of area and move on. I kinda think to myself, if I were that deer where would I go. Maybe a trail, saddle, bedding area and maybe even an easy route through brush or terrain.

This same technique I also use for hunting elk sheds. My best advice is to go out, wear out them boots and have fun. Great way to scout for next years buck!! ;)

I found a 6pt. shed from a mulie in Tucson mtn park while hunting this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to find the deer that dropped it. Most all of my sheds except for one are all left side I guess they hind the right side one better.

I sure would like to see that!

Because I also found a Mulie shed on Sat, a 5 w/ 1 broken off plus eye guard but ....... in 36C. This is the biggest mulie shed I have ever seen.

Hunterdude,

I will take a pic and e-mail it to you if you will do the same.

:P

LETS SEE IT!! HURRY!

LETS SEE IT!!  HURRY!

Josh, sounds like you are a little excitged about that shed. Guess you gotta get your antler fix wherever you can huh?

LOL :D

ALWAYS MAN!

I found a couple sheds that were in the middle of a yucca plant down in 35A..one of them I found when I was carryin my buck back to the truck and the shed has the same characteristic as my buck...as the point comes out it starts to flatten up. Prolly from my buck or some granddaddy on the hill carrys that genes and his sons are shedding em out. I've found matching mule sheds near a water source once..so might want to check out the tanks that are away from people. I have friends who consantly hits up springs in the mountains and they tend to always find sheds around the springs. They also find mountain lion kills as well because some lions will sit at water and wait for critters to come by. I got one coues shed that's worth looking at and found it out in the plain open...buck would have scored 105 and 110 max if the other antler was the same size or bigger.

here's my best coues shed

f619948b.jpg

f5d3337a.jpg

f5d33383.jpg

here's my best mule deer find...notice the droptine

f6199467.jpg

Elkhunter

Some nice finds and good tips!