bowhunter-tw

7mm chambering “issues”

5 minutes ago, bowhunter-tw said:

I will put a little grease/lube on the lugs, I may pull the 10 loads I did just to be safe, if I can find a .284 collet. then re size to bump the shoulders 5 thou more. 

Any issue firing a case with dented shoulder? Had a little to much lube in sizing and it dented the shoulder in a few places, I imagine it would just fire form to the chamber when fired? 

Dents will go away once fired.    We have done some wildcat loads that........well lets just say they don't look good going into the chamber....and they look just fine after they have the opportunity to experience 50,000 psi.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, recurveman said:

Yes.   bump them all to 2.115 and load them up.   EVERYTHING needs to be the same.......unless you are changing something on purpose for load development.    Typically my brass remains as a constant except for maybe neck tension but I normally keep my neck tension at .0015 for hunting purposes.   

So I would load these up and fire them in your gun.   Then I normally bump it back a .001 or .002 with once fired brass (in your gun) and call it good.   

Ok, I’ll bump them all. How do you get your die set to bump exactly .001-.002 thou? Just by un threading measure and threading the die down very little amounts each time then re measure?

That should work. I think most guys try for two three or possibly four on a hunting rifle. It's never a bad idea to make sure all of your reloads chamber before you go on a hunt.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bowhunter-tw said:

Ok, I’ll bump them all. How do you get your die set to bump exactly .001-.002 thou? Just by un threading measure and threading the die down very little amounts each time then re measure?

basically.   Just make small adjustments and measure.   Then I always put the brass in my chamber to check fit.    Also, when I load up my ammo and put a bullet in the case I put the round in my chamber.   I've seen a bunch of reloaded ammo that went to the range and couldn't be put in the chamber!!!!!!!  It is super funny when someone goes to the range and can't shoot because their ammo won't fit into the chamber........Unless you loaded the ammo.    Then you get the opportunity to pull bullets and try again.    Super fun.    So always check to make sure everything fits as you go.   

I would not bump the shoulder .005". I bump all my brass, both belted and non-belted, to .002" headspace.  Almost positive my 7RM are bumped to 2.118" with a 2.120" fired measurement as well using the .420 headspace gauge.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

I would not bump the shoulder .005". I bump all my brass, both belted and non-belted, to .002" headspace.  Almost positive my 7RM are bumped to 2.118" with a 2.120" fired measurement as well using the .420 headspace gauge.

I typically wouldn't do .005 for headspace either but if 2.120" doesn't fit in his chamber.   When he bumps it .005 then it does fit in his gun.    He really can't "undo" his original bump so I would just make them all the same at 2.115" and be done with it this round of reloads.    Go fire them and then bump it back like .002 from where it ends up after fire forming in his chamber.      

• Like 2

In every instance I’ve measured if I barely adjust my die to the first point the bolt easily closes the shoulder bump is right around 0.002”. 

• Like 1

Ok, so I bumped the shoulders back and they chamber. Now what is throwing me off is that without changing the setting on the die some of the cases bumped farther, some bumped less, and most of them bumped to nominal right where I wanted them. What about the brass would cause this variance? 

Press linkage, excessive lube, brass spring back, work hardened brass, lot's of variables . Also it doesn't sound like you are using brass fired from your rifle. In my experience, you won't get consistency with sizing until you are using once fired brass from your chamber then annealed.

53 minutes ago, Randall said:

Press linkage, excessive lube, brass spring back, work hardened brass, lot's of variables . Also it doesn't sound like you are using brass fired from your rifle. In my experience, you won't get consistency with sizing until you are using once fired brass from your chamber then annealed.

I will keep an eye on them after I fire them in my chamber. I need to learn to anneal also.