Sign in to follow this  
Jazz

5BS over the weekend

I know it's too early to scout for a youth hunt. I love the unit though. 

Wanted to get out and walk around, check some spots, do some shed hunting. Was not disappointed.

It's super dry in Arizona. Out of all the water spots I hit, 1 had water. (Out of. . 15?) I was surprised. I image they're hitting the big lakes for water but they're still found all throughout the unit regardless if the water has dried up or not.

That got me thinking. Habit? Social activity? Shortcuts? The places I hit usually have water, but not lately. And there's still strong sign in the area. Of course, I have an entire monsoon + a month before the youth hunt, and it's going to change a lot, but it really go me thinking about Elk habits. 

I bet there's a massive Elk party at that water hole in the middle of the unit every night. 

They will walk along ways back and forth to drink, and makecwhoopy

I drew a 5BS archery tag. I plan on heading up there the week of the 26th just to get reacquainted with the unit. I haven't hunted there in about 6 years.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, creed said:

I drew a 5BS archery tag. I plan on heading up there the week of the 26th just to get reacquainted with the unit. I haven't hunted there in about 6 years.

There's this less-than-awesome road around Jaycox - the 82. Go slow 😃

Next time I go up I'm doing time at Long Lake. Never caught a pike before. 

2 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Is there any water or fish in it?

I'm assuming there is water- it's huge. I really hope that didn't dry up!! 

There's supposed to be a large variety of fish in Soldier and Long Lake. 

Coconino National Forest - Soldier / Long Lakes (usda.gov)

28 minutes ago, CouesFanatic said:

I thought Long lake dried up like 5-6 years ago

Google reviews says this a month ago: As a lake, terrible. It was basically a mud hole with about a foot of water in it.

Yep, there ya go. I think it's only been a puddle at most now.

54 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Yep, there ya go. I think it's only been a puddle at most now.

That sucks! But now I know. Thanks.. wont have high expectations. 

1 hour ago, CouesFanatic said:

I thought Long lake dried up like 5-6 years ago

Google reviews says this a month ago: As a lake, terrible. It was basically a mud hole with about a foot of water in it.

OMG I used to work with the guy that submitted that. A seriously small world. 

I was in the center of 5B scouting antelope over the weekend. Looks like the same water holes that were dry during my bull hunt last year at still dry 

• Like 1

5bs was extremely dry last year on my dads hunt as well. But there were still a few great tanks that surprised me with how much water was in them. Taking the week off leading up to opening day, as always, was invaluable. 5bs has some harsh roads, but we were willing to take them to get away from the crowds, large tumblers of coffee and leaving a couple hours before you hear all the generators kick on. Our experience with the rut last year in 5bs was incredible, and surprising. For us, using calls was not productive at all. And I believe that was because the herds we were running into were so large. The smallest herd (with a decent bull) we saw was maybe 50 elk, and the largest being a couple hundred. It was a learning experience for us, in the sense that glassing was next to nothing other than from one mountain, and that the herds were so large. Good luck on your hunt!

8F41D6B2-BB39-4E48-B2EB-9644107A897C.jpeg

AE17A17C-39EE-42D8-8A2B-03CB6B6DCAD5.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1