Elk_oholic

Unit 8 early archery bull

My wife was lucky enough to draw a unit 8 early archery bull tag with only 4 points as non resident.  We have been in that unit in the past, mainly for a late bull rifle hunt.  We are in good shape and have no problem going the extra mile to get away from the crowds.  Most of the sycamore wilderness area seems to be at lower elevation.  Are there enough elk to go after in the canyons, or should we focus on higher elevation like the AZ fish and game seems to recommend?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

39 minutes ago, Elk_oholic said:

My wife was lucky enough to draw a unit 8 early archery bull tag with only 4 points as non resident.  We have been in that unit in the past, mainly for a late bull rifle hunt.  We are in good shape and have no problem going the extra mile to get away from the crowds.  Most of the sycamore wilderness area seems to be at lower elevation.  Are there enough elk to go after in the canyons, or should we focus on higher elevation like the AZ fish and game seems to recommend?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Sycamore is all on fire right now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Elk_oholic said:

Congratulations to your wife on a great tag. Unfortunately, right now we have a large fire burning the east side of unit 8 along Sycamore Canyon pushing north and east. The damage is yet to be determined, but currently over 20K acres burned. Elk are found in healthy numbers throughout the unit including the wilderness during September. Canyons are where bulls grow and hide late but become vulnerable during the rut moving to the cows in easier terrain. For the rut I typically locate waters getting hammered by cows and the bulls will show when it's time. Good luck!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Adicted said:

Looks like its coming out of sycamore into 6b now

1 hour ago, Markleo21377 said:

Congratulations to your wife on a great tag. Unfortunately, right now we have a large fire burning the east side of unit 8 along Sycamore Canyon pushing north and east. The damage is yet to be determined, but currently over 20K acres burned. Elk are found in healthy numbers throughout the unit including the wilderness during September. Canyons are where bulls grow and hide late but become vulnerable during the rut moving to the cows in easier terrain. For the rut I typically locate waters getting hammered by cows and the bulls will show when it's time. Good luck!

Thanks for the info.  I had no idea about the fire.  We will have to find new hunting grounds since we were planning on hunting the area that has burned.  That was the only area that we had hunted and scouted in the past.  

50 minutes ago, Adicted said:

Looks like its coming out of sycamore into 6b now

Do you have any info or pics from this morning? 

gunsmith, thanks, but i posted a link to that map 2 hours ago.  It shows the fire last night down in the canyon, but not coming out of the canyon into 6b as adicted mentioned.  I was wondering if he had any updated/current info/pics to that regard.

Burning, burning, burning!!  :(    (I've got a late rifle bull tag up in that area.....)

Regarding the elk hunting, I feel like at the end of the day the fires may not necessarily impact it too much at a macro level.   There will be areas that will be 100% scorched, but hopefully some unburned pockets here and there as well.   If we get decent rain this year, there just might be lots of yummy green stuff for the elk in those burned areas.

S.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

Do you have any info or pics from this morning? 

Red Rabbit i take back that statement.  from my phone it looked like it was on the road to jerome by winters cabin....its still at the bottom.  I pulled up on the computer and it clearly shows still there..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Red Rabbit said:

gunsmith, thanks, but i posted a link to that map 2 hours ago.  It shows the fire last night down in the canyon, but not coming out of the canyon into 6b as adicted mentioned.  I was wondering if he had any updated/current info/pics to that regard.

I should have looked at your link. Last night you could see the flames from Garland Prairie so I assumed it was coming out of the canyon, but I guess its not according to the updates. The latest update I read said they will not put any more resources on the fire until it comes out of the canyon. 

• Like 1